From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Judith Hoffberg
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 2:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Members' Handbook

As the creator of the first five Membership Directories with the
assistance of Amy Navratil Ciccone, I can vouch for the necessity of
retention and consultation of the past membership directories for the
history, the continuity, and the growth of the organization.
It would be a shame to banish print from the archives of the
organization.  For my two cents, I agree with Wolfgang and Bill Walker
who were on the first Board and who voted for a Membership Directory.
Just imagine how long it took to type out that directory on a
typewriter, then a composer (an IBM limited predecessor to the
computer)--hours and hours of arduous proofreading--and it is the
directory and the newsletter that marked the growth and development of
ARLIS/NA.  Please do not eliminate the printed directory.

Judith A. Hoffberg
ARLIS/NA, First President