I would like to add my name to the list of members in favor of publishing the directory.  I had not known of the decision not to publish it until I read the President's message, and had been wondering why my most recent copy is so old.

    It was inspiring to read that Wolfgang Freitag has every directory published since 1973.  Hopefully the ARLIS archives also has a complete set.  This is an invaluable source for the history of the Society.  An ever-changing on-line directory, being impermanent, would have no such historical value.

    Apart from the practical reasons for publishing a directory, there are a few others I'd like to note.

    1.  When traveling long distances, I always carried a copy of the directory in my car so that I could contact members when in their vicinity.  I do not travel with a computer, and even if I did, it would be quicker to look up a friend's phone number and address in the directory than have to go through the trouble of turing on a computer and getting on to the ARLIS Web page.  It's like all those automated phone messages that you have to plough through before getting to talk to a live person about a bill you thought was paid.

    2.  Who wants a bulky print-out of a 100-page directory, most likely printed on one side only, and who's going to staple it so the pages don't fly around when you're trying to look up something?  Imagine trying to use the index if you forget to number the pages.  And what a waste of paper.

    3.  I recall some years ago that there was a time when the directory was given to members attending the national conference, if it was published in time.  With 800 members usually in attendance, that's a $3680 savings over sending them by flat rate priority at $4.60 a clip.  The rest of the members could receive theirs by mail.  There would be additional savings if they are sent from a U.S. postal address via the very reasonable library rate, or media rate, at about $3 each (counting the additional cost for the mailing packet).  If the shipping cost is a concern, I think most of us would be happy to pay the postage if we were not able to obtain a copy at the conference.  The charge ($5) could be simply added on a separate line to the annual dues for those wanting to receive it by mail.  The printing run (and thus the cost) could be lowered by having a place to check for those members not interested in having the printed directory.

    For many of us who are not able to attend the annual or regional meetings, the directory is one solid gift that is especially for us.  An online directory is presumably available to anyone (provided one knows how to get there) and is nothing special at all for us loyal dues-paying members.  Even though it is available on-line and I'm often at my computer, I prefer to go to the printed directory than try to look up someone at the web site.

    I hope the President and the committee will rethink the decision not to publish the directory.  If the cost of an annual directory is indeed so prohibitive, perhaps a directory every two years would be preferable to not publishing one at all.

    I note that the objections to not publishing the directory are coming from some of the long time members (myself among them; 27 years a member), including notable past presidents.  Sometimes what is thought of as progress, such as those interminable automated phone messages, is really a step backward towards inefficiency.

    Raymond Smith
    R.W. Smith Bookseller
    New Haven, Connecticut