We are very pleased to announce that, by the end of the 2007 calendar year, approximately 80 percent of the images in the ARTstor Digital Library will be available for download at 1024 pixels on the long side.

In November 2006, we released approximately 100,000 at the 1024 download size. As a result of the relationships that we have been building with content owners, and in response to feedback from our user community, we will shortly be able to make approximately 80 percent of the images in the Digital Library available for larger downloads at 1024 pixels on the long side.  This change will not take effect until the end of the 2007 calendar year, which will allow us time to complete many of our discussions with content-providing partners.  Over time, we hope to make the entire Digital Library available at 1024 downloads (with some images available for larger downloads where permitted by the relevant rights’ owners).

This new download capacity is part of ARTstor's ongoing effort to facilitate broad access to digital images for teaching and scholarship. Users will be permitted to download large images (at 1024 pixels) for use in classroom presentations and for other noncommercial, educational uses in the software environment of their choice.  Users can also continue to download images at up to 3200 pixels for offline presentations by using the ARTstor Offline Image Viewer (OIV).

Further news on the availability of 1024 downloads will be posted to the ARTstor-Announce listserv and to our website throughout the fall.

Please direct questions and feedback to User Services at [log in to unmask] or 888.278.0079.

Carole Ann Fabian

Director of Strategic Outreach and User Services

ARTstor

151 East 61st Street

New York, NY 10065

Voice: 212-500-2402