Dear ARLIS-L,

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience or advice that you could share with me regarding faculty-owned (or not) image collections and collaboration/cooperation with the library. Here at LMU we do not have a visual resources library, and although in the past the faculty used to put slide carousels on reserve at the library, over the last 5 years this practice has all but disappeared. We have heard rumors of an upcoming digitization effort for the faculty’s teaching image collection, but we have not been consulted to be a part of this, and are feeling like this may be a missed opportunity for collaboration.

We have ARTstor, but haven’t had a lot of success getting faculty to use this regularly yet, and also have ContentDM for our digital library collections. I know that ARTstor has features that enable faculty to integrate their own imagery, but my limited experience tells me that this isn’t appropriate to use as a central image repository.

Has anyone had any success with using ContentDM for faculty-owned (“owned” unfortunately might be used a bit loosely) imagery? Are there any success or horror stories that anyone can share with me regarding cooperation between Art History faculty and the library without a pre-existing visual resources relationship? Good old fashioned advice would be appreciated, too!

Thank you!

Jamie Hazlitt

Reference Librarian

Von Der Ahe Library