Dear ARLIS/NA members,
President Deborah Ultan Boudewyns is on vacation and not available to respond to the thread regarding the Membership Directory, so Ken and I are writing on behalf of the Board.

The Board has been reading your messages about the desire and need for a print directory and the advantages and disadvantages of online directories. As Deborah wrote in her last President's message on Thursday, August 16th, the Board is working with McPherson Clarke to implement new online directory software for ARLIS/NA. MemberClicks will allow members to update their own information in real time, and will allow easy access to the directory, without some of the problems we currently have with our directory on the ARLIS web site now. MemberClicks will also permit searching and sorting of multiple categories of membership information. We will provide a full update on MemberClicks implementation immediately after the September mid-year board meeting. In the meantime, we will do everything possible to expedite its implementation.

Our goal is to provide members with easy access to membership information, with the ability to print, or not, information that individuals wish to have. The membership directory, whether print or online, is an important tool in developing and maintaining connections and exchanging information between members. These exchanges may be the ultimate benefit of membership and we will do everything possible to encourage easy and effective communication among members.

Brian Loar's ideas around print-on-demand, along with the idea of allowing individuals to ask for (and perhaps pay a modest price for) a printed directory as they wish, are ideas that the Board will eagerly take into account as we discuss this during the next few weeks.

We appreciate your comments.
Ann Whiteside (Past President) and Ken Soehner (Vice-President/President Elect)

--
Ann Whiteside
Head, Rotch Library of Architecture & Planning

Past President, ARLIS/NA
www.arlisna.org

Cataloging Cultural Objects
http://www.vraweb.org/ccoweb/cco/index.html