RE:
My previous query a week or so ago to the list asking about a comprehensive
list of artists books collections due to questions by artists looking for
venues in which to donate or sell their work:

...Well, it appears there may be no current comprehensive list of artists
books collections, but people sent in good suggestions for actual
collections and possible resources. A number of us also keep artists books
links or websites. I'm sure there are more out there. Maybe some of us need
to get together and pool research efforts. In any case, here are the answers
from the list (edited to essentials as much as makes sense).
Thanks to all who contributed.

--Artist's book yearbook contains a listing of collections and archives. As
it is published in England this listing is particularly good for British
collections but does contain a section for international collections also.It
also contains all sorts of other useful information. A new edition is due to
appear in September.
...AND the Tate Library
(Sarah Bodman, Research Fellow - Artists Books Centre for Fine Print
Research, UWE, Bristol, School of Art, Media and Design)

----The Tate Library (the Tate also has a collection policy written up for
artists
books)(Maria White, The Tate)
www.tate.org.uk

--Atlanta College of Art at SCAD (Savannah School of Art and Design)Library
Ray Smith

--Artist Book News...the best and cheapest way to reach all the library
buyers of Artist books is to put their book in the Artist Book News. I am
just starting to work on the Fall issue, and have still have 4 spaces left.
So please let your interested artists know All the information for artists
is on my web site at http://www.mysticalplaces.com/abnews.html
(Jill Timm, Mystical Places Press)

--University of Arizona We have approximately 700-800 artists books.
Also the Phoenix Public library collects them
(Paula Wolfe)

--Am not aware of such a list; however, in the Midwest, large collections
are at the FA Library, Indiana University, Univ. of WI, Madison, Univ. of
Iowa, Herron School of Art Library/IU Indianapolis Campus, and the
AIC/Flaxman Art Library.
(BJ Irvine)

--...have never found one definitive list. I've thought of starting a
running list. I found this online some time ago and thought it would make a
good starting point. It is not complete, but here you go:
http://edisk.fandm.edu/louise.kulp/notablecoll.html
P.S. Have you tried contacting a local book arts center and see if they have
any listings? I am originally from Minnesota and the Minnesota Center for
Book Arts in Minneapolis has many resources available for those interested
in book arts. Just another thought.
(Greta Bahnemann, Cornell)

--as far as I know there is no comprehensive list. I'm a book artist and
from time to time search library web sites for this information, it usually
means going through several links to 'special collections' or 'rare
books'and sifting through the text or using search for references to artists
books. I find that my books are not always bought specifically for Artists
Book Collections. Depending on the subject matter, they may go to collectors
of Children's books, illustrated books, miniature books, Shakespeare, fine
printing collections and so on. For this reason I like to check each
library's site, and even then they don't always go to the right person as
some sites don't give information about individual staff responsibilities.
Some lists I came across: Some lists I came across:
http://www.bookarts.com/Directory/8libraries.html
http://www.bookarts.com/Directory/8libraries.htmlhttp://dmoz.org/Reference/L
ibraries/Special_Collections/
Book artists of the conceptual ilk should check out www.bookarts.uwe.ac.uk
as there are very often references to libraries, exhibitions and
collections. This is a very active and cutting edge organization promoting
and reporting on the current vogue for conceptual artists books and
installations; although it is based in the UK, it is international in
flavour.
(Jan Kellett De Walden Press)

--Jeffrey Weidman (The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art) keeps bookmars foe;

---Speaking for my own (the Art Gallery of Ontario, the leading contemporary
art museum up here), we'd very much appreciate inclusion on your student's
distribution list.  We have a growing collection (several thousand artist
books and small multiples) from which we regularly create popular
mini-exhibitions, and which are used by students and special interest groups
like Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild.The other two organizations
are:
Library, National Gallery of Canada, P.O. Box 427, Station A, Ottawa,
Ontario  K1N 9N4, Canada; and, Library and Archives, Banff Centre, Box 1020,
Station 43, Banff, Alberta  T0L 0C0, Canada.
(Karen McKenzie, Art Gallery of Ontario)

--University of Pittsburgh - small collection
(Ray Anne Lockard)

--Carnegie Mellon Univ 500+ books
Artists Books
website:http://www.library.cmu.edu/Research/Arts/Art/artistsbooks.html
(Mo Dawley)

--there are three museum libraries in Canada which seriously collect.
Speaking for my own (the Art Gallery of Ontario, the leading contemporary
art museum up here).We have a growing collection (several thousand artist
books and small multiples) from which we regularly create popular
mini-exhibitions, and which are used by students and special interest groups
like Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guil
The other two organizations are:
Library, National Gallery of Canada, P.O. Box 427, Station A, Ottawa,
Ontario  K1N 9N4, Canada; and, Library and Archives, Banff Centre, Box 1020,
Station 43, Banff, Alberta  T0L 0C0, Canada.
The other two organizations are:
Library, National Gallery of Canada, P.O. Box 427, Station A, Ottawa,
Ontario  K1N 9N4, Canada; and, Library and Archives, Banff Centre, Box 1020,
Station 43, Banff, Alberta  T0L 0C0, Canada.
(Karen McKenzie)

Mo Dawley
Art and Drama Librarian
Senior Librarian