UCSD has acquired a number of Mac, PC & Playstation games - all are
kept behind the art reference desk and must be checked out to be used.

The Mac games can no longer be used in the library because they all
run on a legacy operating system that none of the installed Macs have.

We've never owned a Playstation & see no reason to buy one. The
student who requested specific Playstation titles for research (a PhD
student) had his own player. We've never had a request for a player
from anyone else.

All the PCs in the building have CD drives so presumably the games
could be used there. But since we require that the games get checked
out, it doesn't really matter to us where they are played.

So there are some questions you need to answer for your institution:

1. How do you handle other media? Do you provide self-serve stations
for that? The only ones we ever had were an old Mac (now gone) and a
video disk player for those old 12" video disks (no longer available
for checkout). Do you have audio CDs? How are they handled?

2. If you do start by purchasing hardware, then do you have the
obligation to keep a legacy version of the operating system to keep
the titles running? We were given a large gift of games, some of
which are DOS games on floppies. They are sitting in a box in my
office because I don't know of anyone who can use them anymore, yet
they are important to the history of computer gaming.

3. The last thing to consider is what is the purpose of your buying
the games and what you would do if/when they become damaged or
stolen. If you are buying them for preservation, you'd want to keep
them in-house & not even let users load them themselves. If it's for
recreation or class use, they really do need to circulate.

csj