Dear Karen, and ARLIS/NA Members,

Thank you for your response to my message. Please
be assured that the issues raised by you and the
Canadian members have not in the least bit been
dismissed. I hope the following response elucidates this point.

I urge you to please review what I outlined in my
June 12th message to the membership, to see that
the 'Transitional Model of the Executive Board'
indicates in the notes that the roles of the
regional representative positions will be
continued and reviewed as we consider the
proposed functional roles. There is a specific
comment in the notes that indicates we will be
giving special attention to the review of the
Canadian Representative position.

Please recognize that the board deliberately
decided to give the recommended structural
changes of the Executive Board a trial period -
in hybrid form with the current model - for the
next year or so. This approach preserves
continuity, yet gives us the opportunity to
experiment with the proposed recommendations. We
thought that taking first steps to coordinate
some transitional change at this level would help
to illuminate the other proposed structural changes.

We are still in the process of collecting reports
with feedback from all of the committees,
divisions, sections, round-tables, and chapters
about the assessment task force recommendations,
and therefore have not fully thought through all
of the feedback as of yet. We plan to continue to
review all of the feedback, including the letter
you submitted, within the next few weeks. In the
meantime, our own review at the board level led
us to the decision to implement the
recommendations by the task force as a trial and in hybrid-transitional form.

As was emphasized at the conference and noted in
both of my messages to the membership, thus far,
the feedback from the membership is important.
And it is my intention to clearly demonstrate
that the steps we take to make some changes with
the Society will show clear consideration of
membership input. One of the most significant
roles of the Executive Board is to see that the
expectations of the Society's membership are met
in an equitable and fiscally responsible way.

Our Society is at a juncture from which we need
to realize some variation in how we operate, in
order to achieve the goals we set out in the
Strategic Plan and to sustain the vitality of our
membership. I think the Society can meet this
juncture in a progressive and inclusive way that
will further our mission and vision and that will
proudly promote exactly what we are - the Art
Libraries Society of North America.

Respectfully,
Deborah K. Ultan Boudewyns, President, ARLIS/NA

Deborah K. Ultan Boudewyns
Art History & Performing Arts Librarian
University of Minnesota
170b Wilson Library