Interestingly enough, the definition provided by Ray Schmidt from the 1982 Library of Congress publication is nearly identiical to that published twenty-two years earlier in Geoffrey Glaister's Glossary of the Book (London: George Allen and Unwin Ltd, 1960), on p. 147:

"french fold: said of sheet printed on one side only and then folded into a section with bolts uncut; the insides aree blank.
    "See also orihon"

    Being curious, I looked up "orihon" (a new word for the National Spelling Bee?) but it's too long to quote here.  In short, it applies to the type of paper used in China and Japan, in which a book is "made up of a continuous sheet, or of small single sheets, folded but uncut".  (no bolts mentioned)

    I've always been a little stumped as to how to describe such books myself .  I've often described them as containing "pages folded Japanese fashion", which somehow I think people are more familiar with or can at least visualize.  "French fold" may be more correct but I think, like "orihon", it might cause some consternation among my readers.
    Then again, perhaps I should use the word "orohon" to describe such books, then my readers might think I was really smart.

    Ray Smith (not related to Ray Schmidt)
    R.W. Smith Bookseller

Kathy,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the term in
"Bookbinding and the conservation of books" (Library of Congress, 1982) is:

"French fold: A sheet of paper printed on one side only and folded over from
left and right to form a "section" with uncut bolts. The inside of the fold
is blank."
(Online version at http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt1447.html)

I just copy-cataloged a book that has pages like this, "Julie Speidel"
(Museum of Northwest Art, 2006).

Ray Schmidt
Cataloging and Metadata Services
MIT Libraries