I received this reply from Deborah Coy, Head of 19th
Century Pictures, Christie’s London concerning the
censored nude paintings in their Orientalist Art
catalogue for June 26th.

“This  was a decision made in London about which I had
no input. If you look at the New York Orientalist
catalogues as well as those for the Paris sales, you
will notice that none of the images have been either
distorted or left out. I know that it is not possible
to send boxes of catalogues through customs in some
Middle Eastern countries when nudes are depicted, but
we have gotten around that by simply sending them
individually directly to the clients in those
countries or to their agents.

I also understand that this will NOT be the policy in
London going forward.”

By the way, in the larger Christie’s catalogue, “19th
Century European Art Including Spanish and Orientalist
Art” for June 26, the Orientalist section repeats all
the lots of the smaller catalogue, but in this
catalogue the censored images are not ‘distorted.

Mary Stark
Fine Arts Reference Librarian
Beverly Hills Public Library

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?