"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
                                             Confucius

Dear ARLIS/NA Members,

To those of you who are not yet out on a gondola in Venice, perusing
the marketplaces of Greece, or simply lost in a racy art mystery by a
pool, I can, at least, bring you exciting news to salute over your
next summer glass of wine about our Society making first steps toward
updating the configuration of our organization!

While the Executive Board continues to gather the committee,
division, section and roundtable reports with your feedback about the
Assessment Task Force Recommendations, we have had our own
discussions about the recommendations for the structure of the board.
Based on those discussions, the Executive Board voted to adopt the
configuration as proposed by the Assessment Task Force in hybrid form
with the current structure, for the next couple of years.

By combining elements of the traditional structure with a new and
developing structure, we will have the opportunity to explore the new
board positions while preserving continuity with the current
positions. Certainly, this does make for slightly more demanding
appointments, but this seemed to be the most appropriate approach to
managing the transition and for allowing time to work through shaping
the new board positions.

As we begin to implement the additional roles Cate Cooney, Eastern
Regional Representative, will serve as Chapter Coordinator and work
with the chapter officers to devise membership guidelines; Sue
Koskinen, West Regional Representative, will become our
Communications Officer and will begin to search for a technology
advisor; Marilyn Nasserden, Canadian Regional Representative, will
serve as Development Coordinator and has joined the Development
Committee to work on sponsorship strategies; Elizabeth Schaub, South
Regional Representative, will serve as the Education Coordinator and
become Co-chair of the Mentor Committee (when that forms); and Amy
Trendler, our Midwest Regional Representative, will serve as
Conference Coordinator, and has recently joined the Denver and
Indianapolis Conference Planning Advisory Committee discussions.

We will all be learning more about how these roles will serve our
Society as we go. I think the change offers much potential for us.
Outlined below please find an abbreviated version of the new
transitional structure of the Executive Board. You'll notice that the
most significant changes come with the regional representatives. Your
feedback, throughout the year, to help us shape these positions will
be welcome. Please revisit the original ARLIS/NA Organizational
Assessment, too, for more details at
http://www.arlisna.org/arlismembers/membersindex.html

More updates to come. Remember to visit the News & Events section of
the website for news headlines and messages from your   Executive Board.

Cheers,
Deborah K. Ultan Boudewyns, President, ARLIS/NA
Transitional Executive Board Structure - Highlights of most significant changes

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:
President- Deborah K. Ultan Boudewyns
*As proposed - no significant changes

Past President- Ann Whiteside
*Implement the recommended direct reports to alleviate some
responsibilities on the regional reps (this way the reps will have
time to serve in their elected roles as well as adopt some aspects of
the proposed functional roles during this trial/hybrid year.)
*Direct Reports: Standards Com, Cat Advis Com, instead of liaison to
Society Liaisons (leave to Pres) pick up Public Policy, continue as
IRC liaison, continue with SEI implementation as Co-liaison with
Education Officer.

Vice-President/President Elect - Ken Soehner
*As proposed - some reporting changes

Treasurer- Fran Scott
*As proposed - no significant changes

Secretary- Rebecca Price
*Co-liaison to Membership Committee w/current liaison
*Co-liaison to Headquarters with President
*Examine necessity/value of local chapter sec taking minutes at
mid-yr and conferences
*Develop minutes guidelines if alternative sec is used and/or for
future secretaries

FUNCTIONAL OFFICERS:
Chapters Coordinator- Cate Cooney
*Coordinate funding requests for chapters
*Work with other reg reps on their specific issues and/or discussions
(to exercise 'coordinator' concept)
*Work with reg reps and chapters on Bylaw changes or issues
*Facilitate Chapter Officer discussions as needed
*Work with Marilyn and the Canadian Chapters (help determine whether
we best continue the Canadian Rep or find out if it may not be necessary)
*Continue as Eastern Regional Rep

Development/Marketing- Marilyn Nasserden
*Become Co-liaison to the Development Committee - advise conference
planners and Development Committee on fundraising and assist with
fundraising activities as appointed
*Co-liaison to Membership Committee with Secretary
*Continue as Canadian Regional Rep

Education Coordinator- Elizabeth Schaub
*Continue as Professional Development Committee Liaison
*Co-chair Mentor Sub-Committee
*Co-liaison of Education Task Force with President
*SEI Implementation Co-liaison with VP
*Continue as South Regional Rep

Communication- Sue Koskinen
*Continue as Publications Liaison
*Technology Special Appointment - develop idea and help implement
*Continue as West Regional Rep

Conference Planning- Amy Trendler
*Serve as Co-Chair of CPAC with Pres
*Serve as Liaison (mediator) between CPAC and Conference Manager -
eliminate excessive email/communications
*Oversee CPAC deadlines
*Go to CPAC - (and use this experience to begin to mold officer role
for next year)
*Continue as Midwest Regional Rep

Deborah K. Ultan Boudewyns
Art History & Performing Arts Librarian