I’ve been reading this morning’s commentary and feel like adding my 2 cents. I too served on the committee one year. It was an exciting, stimulating experience, one I recommend to all. It was also a lot of work. Much work goes into deciding the winner. Much work obviously went into the writing, care and producing of the winning books (otherwise they would not be winners). The element of surprise adds to the excitement.

Some of us think the authors, notified in advance, should be the main speakers, about their subject or the process of making the winning book. After all, they get an audience devoted to books and their subject. What could be better!

-----Original Message-----
From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pat Lynagh
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:46 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] George Wittenborn Memorial Book Award

As the saying goes in the world of popular culture, “What . . . are you smokin’ crack?”.  Why “fix” something that is “oh not so broken”?

Let’s face it folks, the Convocation is really a “seat squirmer” and basically a prelude to chow time, with little excitement from year to year.  The Wittenborn Award has always been a class act within the Convocation experience that does provide a moment of suspense in an otherwise ho-hum hour or two.  I have trouble seeing winning a prestigious award that will boost book sales as an “awkward moment”.  It may be awkward for those who did not win the award, but it is a chance for the winner to have their well-deserved 15 minutes of fame.

I totally agree with Bill, Gregg and Sherman that eliminating the announcement from the Convocation is ill-advised.  Announcing the winner beforehand is like the bride showing up in her wedding dress at the bridal shower.

 Pat Lynagh

Assistant Librarian

Hillwood Museum

4155 Linnean Ave., NW