From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Lucie Stylianopoulos
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 4:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Thieme-Becker and more

Hello friends,

We are currently reconfiguring our public space extensively at the Fiske
Kimball Fine Arts Library here at the University of Virginia in order to
provide a more agile and inviting environment for research in the arts.
We are "rediscovering" the original Great Space first designed for our
1970's building and focusing on the beautiful windows on our first floor
that have long since been obscured by reference space and office space.

To that end, we are at present drastically reducing our space allotted
to reference based on online availability and redundancy in resources.
I would like to ask this group what has happened to such resources as
Thieme Becker and Who's Who in American Art?  Where do you keep them
now?  I am inclined to send them to storage, where they can be retrieved
in a day, given the increasing inclusiveness of Grove Art Online and
others.

And what say all of you?

many thanks,

lucie

Lucie Wall Stylianopoulos
Acting Head, Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library Librarian for
Art/Archaeology, Architecture and Drama University of Virginia Bayly
Drive Box 400131 Charlottesville, VA 22904-4131 [log in to unmask]