I'd like to commend whoever is responsible for the recent effort to bring us information about our affiliated organizations.  We've had reports recently from ARLIS liaisons to several relevant organizations and I'd like to thank them for the effort involved.  I hope we continue to get these notices regularly--or at least once a year.  Because few of us can afford to attend more than one professional conference each year, I think we sometimes become insular in our outlook and don't realize that other organizations have similar problems and deal with similar issues. (Or may be dealing with issues that we haven't yet thought about but should.)  Even if we can't attend their meetings, hearing about them is interesting.

When another conference is being held in our city or closeby I think it is very energizing to attend--even when our institution can't pay for it.  Investing in ourselves as professionals by attending other relevant organizations' meetings to hear their points of view, to observe the different ways they may deal with organizational issues, and to network with colleagues who may not always be librarians but may be involved with museums or archives or computers or art in different ways is good for us personally and professionally.  It's always good for nonlibrary staff to see us at 'their" meetings and view us as colleagues.

Joan