Dear ARLIS/NA members,
The last two months have been quite active in our Society; I want to
share information and ask for your participation in three initiatives.

First of all, the ARLIS/NA Assessment Task Force has completed its charge
and has submitted a final report and recommendations. The Executive
Board has read the report and its recommendations; we highly commend the
members of the Task Force (Sarah Falls, Kathleen List, Mark Pompelia,
Rebecca
Price, and Lynda White (chair)) for their work. This group has been very
thoughtful in its approach to the task, has gathered input from you, the
members, and has written a report with a set of recommendations that
reflects your own thoughts about ARLIS/NA and how our structure can
better serve our needs.

These documents have been posted on the ARLIS/NA website, in the
Member’s only portion of the site under Member Issues, for you to read,
review, and think about. A blog has been set up so that we can all
continue to discuss this very
important report. The blog will be up and running next week and we will
let you know when it is ready to roll. The Task Force members have
graciously agreed to facilitate the discussion on the blog. Until the
blog is accessible, please read the report and recommendations and
digest the information you will find.

The Board will discuss the report in its regular weekly online meetings
as well so that we part of the process. We will be adding informational
content to the ARLIS/NA web site related to the report – a FAQ and other
types of information to assist in our discussions.

Discussion on the blog will take place through late April. A summary of
the blog discussions will be compiled and become part of the open forum
discussion at our Membership Meeting in Atlanta on April 31st.

Additionally, we will also be contacting all group leaders in ARLIS/NA,
and requesting that group leaders to begin discussion within their
groups about this report via e-mail, and at group meetings at the
conference in Atlanta. This is about the structure of our Society and
how we can serve our members better, so please participate.

After the conference, the Assessment Task Force will provide the Board
with a summary of all the feedback from you, the members, for
discussions in our post-conference Board Meeting. At that time, based
upon input from all of you, we will develop a plan for implementing
those recommendations that have been deemed most important to our
Society. Follow this link to the report and recommendations:

http://www.arlisna.org/arlismembers/membersindex.html

Our second request from you concerns two surveys. The first is from the
Membership Committee, that has been investigating different types of
membership dues models for ARLIS/NA. They would like feedback from you on
different types of membership dues models before they make their
recommendations to the Board.

Roger Lawson recently sent a message to this list announcing another
survey from the Publications Committee; this group has listened to the
discussions on ARLIS-L about peer review of /Art Documentation/. They
have researched this topic and would like further input from all of us.

Your feedback on membership dues models and peer review of our journal are
as important as your continued discussion of the Assessment Task Force
report. We look forward to hearing what you have to say about all of
these issues.

Sincerely,

Ann, on behalf of the ARLIS/NA Board

--
Ann Whiteside
Head, Rotch Library of Architecture & Planning

President, ARLIS/NA
www.arlisna.org

Cataloging Cultural Objects
http://www.vraweb.org/ccoweb/cco/index.html