Hello Collective ARLIS wisdom.

I am presenting a library instruction class for a course in our
American Studies curriculum entitled "Race and Visual
Culture",  which focuses how historical visual stereotypes of gender
and race of the 19th and early 20th centuries operate within our
social, political, cultural sphere. The instructor is concentrating
on representations of primarily of Native Americans, African
Americans, Asian Americans, Women and other ethnic groups in this
formative period of American history. I am compiling a list of web
sites to support student's discovery of visual material to support
the thesis of their research paper. I have selected a number of good
sites already in my discovery process, and am also formulating a
strategy for students to use to discover scholarly web sites rich not
only in visual images, but in supporting primarary materials (e.g.
journals, letters, documents, literature etc.). I've already looked
at the major sites, LC, NYPL digital library, Smithsonian Exhibition
finder, California Digital Library, and period journals such as
Harpers Weekly. Photographs, adverstising art, postcards, public
monuments, print culture, paintings, etc. are all possibilities.

If you know of one or two relevant scholarly websites that would be
useful for research in this area, I'd be most appreciative if you
would send the URL. I will compile the list and send it to ARLIS-L
when I've completed it. Or if you know of a metasite that has already
done this, please send it my way.

Have a great day.

Margaret D. Ericson
Art and Music Librarian