Records for our new List 138
- including two special sections on
JADE & SOUTHEAST ASIAN CERAMICS
plus the usual selection from our stock -
have been added to our web site at:

      http://www.hanshan.com

The printed version of list 138 will be mailed out shortly.
PDF VERSIONS (Portable Document Format)
of our catalogues are also available on the site. Visit:
      http://www.hanshan.com?pdf

Please also see below for records of a few choice items.

- Customers who receive printed versions of the catalogue:
If you did not get a copy of our *previous* catalogue 137, then you
may have fallen
off the list for mailing of the printed version. Please get in touch if you
would  like to be reinstated. If you did get 137 and you have been
active, the paper
copy of 138 will be on its way to you in due course. (Unless you have recently
asked to receive electronic notification only.)
---------------------------

A FEW GOOD NEW BOOKS JUST IN

BENPJ1
Bennett, Terry: PHOTOGRAPHY IN JAPAN 1853-1912. North Clarendon,
2006. 320 pp. B/w and sepia photographs throughout. 31x24 cm. Cloth.
GBP 45.00
Available
The most complete history yet published on Japanese photography
during this period. Illustrated throughout with photographs by both
commercial and amateur photographers.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?b/BENPJ1

BUCJM1
Buckland, Rosina, Timothy Clark and Shigeru Oikawa: A JAPANESE
MENAGERIE. Animal Pictures by Kawanabe Kyosai. London, 2006. 112 pp.
90 colour illustrations. List of works, bibliography. 28x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 16.99
Available
Kawanabe Kyosai (1831-89) was an original and distinguished painter
of the late Edo period who was also known for the delightful mildly
satirical animal caricatures such as those represented in this
well-produced and illustrated book. Includes three short, informative
introductory essays by Buckland, Shigeru Oikawa and Timothy Clark.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?b/BUCJM1

CARBW3
Carswell, John: BLUE & WHITE. Chinese Porcelain around the World.
London, 2007. 240 pp. 240 colour and 50 b/w illustrations. 25x26 cm.
Wrappers.
GBP 20.00
Available
Paperback edition.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?c/CARBW3

CHEAS1
Cheng Te-k'un: ARCHAEOLOGICAL STUDIES IN SZECHWAN. Cambridge, 1957.
xx, 322 pp. 118 plates, 5 maps. Bibliography, index. 25x19 cm. Cloth.
GBP 18.00
Available
This authoritative survey - in two parts covering I: 'Prehistoric
Archaeology of Szechwan' and II: 'Han Burial Remains in Szechwan; The
Kiln Sites of Ch'iung-Lai and Liu Li-Ch'ang; Sung Burial Remains in
Szechwan' - was conducted under the auspices of the Harvard-Yenching
Institute and the West China Union University.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?c/CHEAS1

EARLE1
Earle, Joe: LETHAL ELEGANCE. The Art of Samurai Sword Fittings.
Boston, 2004. 256 pp. Over 300 colour illustrations. 24x21 cm. Cloth.
GBP 40.00
Available
Illustrates and describes 150 sword fittings in the collection of the
Boston Museum of Fine Arts - mainly tsuba, but also kozuka,
fuchikashira, menuki and kanamono. Special focus on the relatively
neglected late Edo and Meiji periods. A good reference on the
subject. Recommended.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?e/EARLE1

GGMC25
Gugong Museum: QINGTONG LI YUE QI. Bronze Ritual Vessels and Musical
Instruments. Complete Collection of Treasures Gugong, 25. Hong
Kong/China 2006. 24, 296 pp. 189 items illustrated in colour plates,
with some additional b/w reproductions of inscriptions and details,
sometimes from rubbings. 29x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 60.00
Available
In a sense this book provides new documentation, in the 'Complete
Collection' series, of 'the crown jewels' of China, since the finest
early ritual bronzes in the imperial or national collection
traditionally bear a special relation to the mandate of China's
governors. Moreover, ritual music is also strongly associated with
governance and regulation in Chinese culture. Here are 189 of the
Gugong's most important pieces, dating from the Shang through the
Warring States period, superbly photographed and described. The
bronzes illustrated include both objects from the Qing court
collection and pieces excavated in the 20th century. Captions in
English, otherwise Chinese text.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GGMC25

GGMC26
Gugong Museum: QINGTONG SHENGHUOQI. Bronze Objects for Daily Use.
Complete Collection of Treasures Gugong, 26. Hong Kong/China 2007.
25, 238 pp. 209 colour plates, some b/w reproductions of
inscriptions. 29x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 60.00
Available
Presents 209 of the finest bronze pieces from the Gugong Museum's
collections - bowls, vessels, utensils, censers and mirrors. The
pieces date from the Shang to the Jin dynasties. Includes a number of
gilt and inlaid pieces. Whilst a number of the pieces are stated to
have been in the Qing court collection, the majority have presumably
been excavated during the 20th century. A fine addition to this
definitive series. Captions in English, otherwise Chinese text.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GGMC26

HU0MC1
Hu Kemin: MODERN CHINESE SCHOLARS' ROCKS. A Guide for Collectors.
Warren, 2006. 143 pp. 150 colour illustrations. Bibliography. 26x18
cm. Paper.
GBP 17.99
Available
Due to the enduring popularity of this form of collecting and
connoisseurship, this book introduces over 40 types of stone and the
qualities for which they are valued. Includes chapters on display and
how to make stands. Accessible.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?h/HU0MC1

NMC063
National Museum of China: SONG YUN: SICHUAN YAO CANG WENWU JICUI.
(The Charm of Song: Cultural Artefacts from Hoards in Sichuan).
Beijing, 2006. 306 pp. Colour plates throughout. Colour text
illustrations. B/w text drawings. 29x22 cm. Wrappers.
GBP 80.00
Available
Catalogue of an excellent exhibition held at the National Museum of
China in Beijing showing major Song dynasty finds from excavated
hoards in Sichuan province. The first hoard, located in the town of
Suining, yielded a large cache of Southern Song ceramics (93 pieces
shown here). The second hoard, from Pengzhou, contained a large
amount of Song dynasty gold and silver objects (61 exhibits shown)
plus some bronzes. The quality of all artefacts is of the highest
order. The ceramics are wonderful and include superb Longquan wares,
plus many pieces from Jingdezhen and a number of examples from
Yaozhou and elsewhere. The gold and silver from Pengzhou is
marvellous and it is rare to see such a range of Song gold and silver
exhibited together. The ceramics and gold and silver, when examined
together, provide much interest in demonstrating the interplay of
form and design between different media during the Song dynasty.
Finally, the bronzes from the Pengzhou hoard. Fifteen very fine and
rare examples of Song dynasty bronzes that emulate archaic bronze
forms (as, indeed, do some of the ceramics), the study of antiquity
being of much interest at the time. Illustrated throughout in colour.
Nine page list of plates in English. Main text in Chinese. As with
all these marvellous exhibition catalogues from the National Museum
of China, highly recommended and hard to obtain.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?n/NMC063

PALCS2
Paludan, Ann: CHINESE SCULPTURE. A Great Tradition. Chicago, 2006.
396 pp. Over 300 colour plates. 27x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 50.00
New stock due shortly
Ann Paludan has been researching Chinese sculpture for thirty years
and published regularly during this time. This new book takes into
account the archaeological discoveries that have revolutionised our
knowledge of this once-neglected field. It includes many previously
unpublished photographs. Written with remarkable style and clarity,
the book traces the history of Chinese sculpture through the imperial
period, and provides a coherent account centred on sculpture as a
particularly efficacious art - socially, politically and religiously
- in palace, tomb, temple and other social space. A major
contribution.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?p/PALCS2

QI0AW1
Qi Fengge ed: AI WO ZHONGHUA: ZHONGGUO XIANDAI BANHUA CANGPIN JI. For
the Love of China: A Collection of Contemporary Chinese Prints.
Beijing, 2006. 319 pp. Colour plates throughout. 31x24 cm. Wrappers.
GBP 38.00
Available
Wide-ranging conspectus of contemporary Chinese printmaking, with
reproductions of a representative selection from the work of 16
artists. Includes artist portraits, biographies and CVs. Dual
language text, Chinese and English, with contributions by David
Barker.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?q/QI0AW1

THOVC1
Thorp, Robert L: VISITING CHINA'S PAST. A Guide to Sites and
Resources. Warren, 2006. 289 pp. Numerous b/w illustrations, plans
and maps. Bibliography. 23x16 cm. Paper.
GBP 18.99
Available
In 24 short essays, Robert Thorp takes the reader on a tour of the
most important archaeological discoveries in China during the last
century. A serious, brief but highly informative and focused
introduction to Chinese archaeology and history, pitched at those who
may have opportunities to visit some of these sites.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?t/THOVC1