When George committed suicide, we knew the fledgling organization called
ARLIS/NA should honor this man who gave his all for the books we all were
buying--for the books he was bringing into this country--for the books he
was offering to librarians firsthand, especially if they lived in New York
City-- for the amazing catalogs he sent out periodically that whetted the
appetite of so many of us around the world.

He probably is having a very good time laughing wherever he may be--for the
Wittenborn Awards put ARLIS/NA on another map--allowing ARLIS to be
recognized as a force in the world of art books.  It's like seeing the
Academy Awards three hours earlier in the East and then recording it for
later consumption in the West.  Convocation should have something exciting
about the ceremonies--and the Wittenborn since 1974 has always been special.
In the beginning, we had Maury Nemoy, the famous movie trailer designer and
calligrapher, do the certificates for presentation.  That was the prize!

Give George his due--and the organization--and keep it a surprise!

Judith A. Hoffberg
Santa Monica, CA