A student is working on a painting in the Denver Art Museum by William Copley, “Death of the Righteous Man and the Death of the Sinner,” from 1990.  The painting doesn’t seem to fit into the regular themes Copley explores in his art.  We have found little about him beyond the standard art and biography sources, LexisNexis and Access World News, and AskArt, and virtually nothing on the theme of the painting.  Susan, the DAM art librarian, recommended the student contact the curator at the museum to see if he can help.  I would like to see if I can help her in any other way.

1)   Does anyone have any biographical information about this artist which discusses his art, or know where his archives might be so that we can contact the archivist for more information?

2)       Does anyone know of any images which depict the theme of the deaths of the righteous man and the sinner?  We found an image in the Bridgeman, which was in a catechism.

Please answer off list.

Thanks for your help!

Peggy Keeran
Arts and Humanities Reference Librarian