Greetings friends and colleagues,

Especially my colleagues who are entering the job market for the first time
or are early in their careers. I will gladly entertain questions regarding
qualifications, duties, life in the Bay area, my favorite local wineries,
etc., from those interested in the following position.

Alex Ross, who has so ably served as Head Librarian since 1975, will retire
this April 30. My tenure as Head begins May 1. Within the general overview
of the posting, which accurately reflects the broad array of
responsibilities that this position entails, the successful candidate and I
will configure the day-to-day work flow.  As Head Librarian and Assistant
Librarian we will both engage in the multitude of tasks that are required
of an academic art library serving artists, art historians, and museum
staff. For example, collection development and bibliographic instruction
activities will be shared. In what manner will depend to a certain degree
on the skills and interests of the successful candidate, and the demands
placed upon us. I very much view this position as a spring board which will
help launch early careers, much in the same way it helped establish mine
some years ago when I served as Assistant Librarian under Alex's excellent
tutelage.

Regards to all,

Peter Blank

At 09:44 AM 2/13/2007, you wrote:
>Requisition # 24042
>
>The Stanford University Libraries and Academic Information Resources
>(SULAIR) seeks an early-career art librarian with great enthusiasm for the
>accumulation and dissemination of art information, with excellent
>interpersonal skills, within an extremely pro-active and service-oriented
>environment.
>
>Overview
>The Stanford Art and Architecture Library, which occupies 14,000 square
>feet in the Nathan Cummings Art Building, contains a collection of
>approximately 160,000 volumes of monographs and journals. Its mission is
>to support the art/architecture informational needs of the Stanford
>community.  An important part of the Library is the Visual Resources
>Center, which came under SULAIR management in Sept. 2006. VRC has more
>than 300,000 35mm slides and 24,000 digital images and is supervised by a
>full-time MLS Curator.  The Library's book and image collections are
>rapidly growing in response both to user demands and to a carefully
>developed collection development program.  The Library has a staff of
>seven FTE and is one of eleven research branches in the SULAIR system.
>
>In addition to collection building, the Library maintains a full and
>proactive program of reference services, bibliographic and research
>instruction, and outreach to students and faculty across the entire
>university. An exhibition program is under development, and will feature
>the Library's Locked Stacks collection, which includes a full complement
>of rare, antiquarian materials, artist's books and multiples, early
>Modernist periodicals, illuminated manuscript facsimiles, and so on.
>
>Responsibilities:
>- Assist Head Librarian with selection of materials, using vendor
>databases, approval plans, dealers' catalogs and quotes, reviews, etc.
>- Assume partial responsibility for the Locked Stack collection of unique
>and rare materials, including selection, conservation assessment, and
>processing.
>- Oversee exhibition program of Library's Locked Stack collections. Design
>exhibitions in consultation with head librarian, faculty, and students.
>- Relegate outdated and peripheral materials to off-campus storage, and
>participate in other aspects of collection management, such as donor
>stewardship, book dealer relations, and faculty contact work.
>- Handle in-person and telephone reference requests during designated
>on-duty periods and on-demand as necessary.
>- Conduct instructional and orientation sessions with the Library's core
>clientele; carry on outreach activities to the broader Stanford community.
>- Share teaching responsibility for course in art database searching and
>art bibliography with the Head Librarian; train staff as necessary to use
>art reference sources.
>- Assist in content planning and take on primary responsibility for
>maintenance of the Library's web site.
> [...]

Peter P. Blank                                    [log in to unmask]
Deputy Librarian                                (650) 725-1038
Art & Architecture Library                  FAX (650) 725-0140
102 Cummings Art Bldg.
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-2018