Dear All:

Thank you so much for all your helpful responses to my question about
archives and historical document storage.  In response to your requests
to post the responses, below are the responses from the ARLIS listserv
as well as from my colleagues in horticultural/botanical
libraries...thought you might like to see all responses.  I left off
particulars of who sent each response, but if you want to know who sent
a particular response let me know and I will pass that along.

Thanks again,

Shelly

I can't be much help but I did purchase this book for our library and it
looks like a good resource.

Title: Organizing archival records : a practical method of arrangement
and description for small archives / David W. Carmicheal.

Edition: 2nd ed.

Published: Walnut Creek, CA : AltaMira Press, c2004.

Description xi, 85 p. : ill. ; 28 cm. + CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)

It also looks like this link from the National Archives page may be
helpful.

http://www.archives.gov/preservation/

---------

I also like the publications of the Australian Society of Archivists
(see http://www.archivists.org.au/).  Some of their brochures (such as
'Establishing an Archives') are available online.  For the basics,
including setting up policies & procedures, I recommend their text:
Keeping Archives, although I realise that it's getting old, thus won't
address newer standards for online finding aids.

---------

You can also look in the SAA archival series (www.archivists.org)  to
help with other aspects of setting up an archival system.

---------

I suggest that you acquire and study the following basic manual for the
operation of a museum archives.   In my experience administering the
operation of 2 art museum libraries plus archives (St. Louis Art Museum
and Cleveland Museum of Art), the specialized nature of archival work
requires the input of a trained archivist and I would suggest that you
contact a local member of MAC (Midwest Archives Conference?) for advice
if this manual doesn't answer all of your needs and questions.

------------

The book to buy is Museum Archives: An Introduction, 2nd ed., edited by
Deborah Wythe (Chicago: Society of American Archivists, 2004).  It is
absolutely terrific; covers just about everything you would want to
know--at least to begin.  And when Art Museum Libraries and
Librarianship comes out this April, you will find four essays in it
specifically on art museum institutional archives.  But you should
definitely get Wythe's book in any case.

------------

I might refer you to the Society of American Archivists site
http://www.archivists.org/index.asp and their publications for some
insights. This should help with organizing and finding aids.  As for the
newspaper clippings, perhaps you can copy them onto acid free paper.  We
do not allow any archival  materials out of the library , and only a
select  few have access to them (the Director of the museum, the
Registrar, the Librarian/Archivist, and a volunteer who helps with the
organization of them).  Certain materials, because of confidentiality of
their contents, are not available to researchers (guidance from the
Director & Registrar on that.)

------------

There is a lot of good literature from SAA (Society of American
Archivists) and others on retention and preservation. Not knowing what
you have already investigated, I might suggest a couple of issues you
might consider.

If you photograph brittle news clippings using film you can transfer to
any new medium that might develop; transferring directly to digital may
not give you as many options later. Many of us have scrapbooks of
clippings in some form that are great for researchers but, eventually
pose storage and preservation issues-

See the following publication from the Society of American Archivists:

 http://www.archivists.org/catalog/pubDetail.asp?objectID=949
<http://www.archivists.org/catalog/pubDetail.asp?objectID=949>

Shelly Kilroy|   Librarian

1000 East Beltline Road NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
PH 616.975.3144|   TF 888.957.1580   |   FX 616.975.9545
[log in to unmask]   |   www.meijergardens.org