Since the main presentation at the WESS Germanists Discussion Group has an art focus, I thought some Arts Section members might be interested, as well as ARLIS members who might be attending ALA Midwinter. My apologies for any duplication.

The WESS Germanists Discussion group will meet on Sunday, 21 January from 10:30 to 12:30 in the Fairmont Hotel (Senate Room).

Our main order of business will be a presentation by Axel Schmetzke with the intriguing title, "From Monkey Business to Serious Research: Reflections on the Utility of the Web for Scholarly Inquiry." To further whet your appetites, Axel's abstract follows:

"The presenter traces the process that led from the inheritance of a rather curious sculpture—a chimpanzee contemplating a human skull—to becoming an expert on this piece and its obscure, late 19th-century German-Jewish creator, Hugo Rheinhold. The presenter hopes to both educate and entertain the audience with his tale of Web-mediated “monkey research,” which culminated in a visit to numerous German libraries, archives, and graveyards (as well as to the sites of a former dynamite factory and a current nuclear power plant). As the presenter intends to demonstrate, thanks to the Web, the “invisible college,” which we all learned about in Library School, is no longer that invisible."

In addition to hearing Axel's talk, we will discuss our summer program for Washington. Several suggestions have already been made, and others are welcome.

We can use any time remaining at the end of the meeting for a general "round Robin" discussion of any issues of concern to participants.

Thanks

Tim Shipe

Chair, WESS Germanists Discussion Group