Dear Colleagues,

We need your help.

The Visual Resources Association (VRA) invites you to participate in this
Professional Status Survey which we hope will provide a "snapshot" of the
visual resources profession for 2006.  Our last survey of the profession
was conducted in 1999, and we believe that it is time to update our
understanding of the visual resources profession as we prepare to celebrate
our Silver Jubilee in 2007.  Although this survey is sponsored by the VRA,
you need not be a member to take the survey.  In fact, our intention is to
widely canvas the profession rather than limit polling to members of
VRA.  We request your response by February 16, 2007.

Please forward this announcement to other colleagues who would be
interested in this survey.  If you have received this message in error and
are not an appropriate person to complete it, please forward it to the
proper person(s) in your institution, organization or business.

The survey covers the following broad topics: personal and institutional
data, position qualifications, collections statistics, facilities,
staffing, professional activities, and user services.  You should plan on
about 45 minutes to complete the survey, and it will be helpful if you
gather some recent statistics (similar to those included in an annual
report) before you begin.  To view a pdf copy of the survey before taking
it go
to:
<http://www.vraweb.org/wholedocfinal12_18.pdf>http://www.vraweb.org/wholedocfinal12_18.pdf.

To take the survey go to:
<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=580572972860>http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=580572972860.
We urge you to participate and to encourage your colleagues to take the
survey as well. The more data we have, the more useful the results will
be.  The findings are important to all of us as benchmarks for
institutional use.

We extend special thanks to the members of the VRA Professional Status
Survey Task Force for their contributions in developing this survey: Margo
Ballantyne (Lewis and Clark College), Andrew Gessner (Metropolitan Museum
of Art), Jeanne M. Keefe (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute), Hildegard
Lindschinger (Wilfrid Laurier University), and Susan Jane Williams
(Scholars Resource).

We thank all of you who have already completed this survey as well as
offering an advanced thank you for your willingness to do so now.

VR Professional Status Survey Task Force Co-chairs,

Christine Hilker (University of Arkansas)
Margaret N. Webster (Cornell University)

Margaret N. Webster
Director, Knight Visual Resources Facility
B-56 Sibley Hall
College of Architecture, Art & Planning
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853