Records for our new List 137
- including our New Year Stock List with 921
additional items selected from stock -
have been added to our web site at:

      http://www.hanshan.com

The printed version of list 137 will be mailed out shortly.
PDF VERSIONS (Portable Document Format)
of our catalogues are also available on the site. Visit:
      http://www.hanshan.com?pdf

Please also see below for records of a few choice items.

If you did not get a copy of our *previous* catalogue 135, then you
may have fallen
off the list for mailing of the printed version. Please get in touch if you
would  like to be reinstated. If you did get 135 and you have been
active, the paper
copy of 136 will be on its way to you in due course. (Unless you have recently
asked to receive electronic notification only.)
---------------------------

A FEW GOOD NEW BOOKS JUST IN

ADD7D1
Addiss, Stephen: 77 DANCES. Japanese Calligraphy by Poets, Monks and
Scholars 1568-1868.  2006. xiv, 259 pp. Over 100 colour
illustrations. Bibliography, index. 30x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 52.00
Splendid, well-illustrated study of seventy-seven important
calligraphic works from a period of remarkable flowering in Japan's
highest visual art - with great spiritual, especially Zen Buddhist,
resonance. This is, in fact, the first book in English to be devoted
to Japanese calligraphy spanning the Momoyama and Edo periods.
Recommended.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?a/ADD7D1

BARHM1
Bartholomew, Terese Tse: HIDDEN MEANINGS. Symbolism in Chinese Art.
San Francisco, 2006. 351 pp. Colour plates and illustrations
throughout. Bibliography, indexes. 31x24 cm. Cloth.
GBP 60.00
Excellent new reference work produced, originally, to accompany an
exhibition at the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco. This is a
well-organized and comprehensive exposition of the imagery used in
Chinese art and its (hidden) meanings as expressed in rebuses,
conventional symbolism and so on. The entries are classified into
sections (wealth, longevity) which are then arranged alphabetically
by symbol, with each entry illustrated by a drawing or colour plate
of actual artefacts. The book is enhanced by no less than five
indexes: an English-language index, a pinyin subject index, a pinyin
'auspicious phrase' index, and two stroke-count character indexes to
illustrated material and articles. Recommended.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?b/BARHM1

BENOJ1
Bennett, Terry: OLD JAPANESE PHOTOGRAPHS. Collectors' Data Guide.
London, 2006. 308 pp. Numerous b/w photographs and illustrations.
26x18 cm. Cloth.
GBP 65.00
A useful and practical reference guide to the history of photography
in Japan from its beginnings until 1912.  Identifies over 4000
photographs by studio, indexes and provides information on
photographers, studios and publishers, reproduces 19th century
periodical literature on Japanese photography and illustrates
numerous studio advertisements from the period. Also includes
Japanese photographers active in China during this period. An
important reference for anyone interested in the subject.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?b/BENOJ1

CHP061
Christiansborg Palace: TREASURES FROM IMPERIAL CHINA: THE FORBIDDEN
CITY AND THE ROYAL DANISH COURT. Copenhagen, 2006. 680 pp. Colour
plates throughout. 33x26 cm. Cloth.
GBP 80.00
Catalogue of an exhibition at the Christiansborg Palace in Denmark:'
Treasures from Imperial China. The Forbidden City and the Royal
Danish Court'. On show are 261 objects from the Palace Museum in
Beijing and from the Royal Danish Collections, focusing on the use of
these objects at the respective courts, on East-West interactions and
in particular on Danish-Chinese relations in the 17th-19th centuries.
 From Beijing came a Dragon throne with all paraphernalia; costumes;
portrait paintings; jewellery; Qianlong's litter; objects of jade,
gold and cloisonne. The large section on medical sciences with, for
instance,two amazing wooden Chinese models of the human body (based
on Western examples) is highly interesting. There also is a wealth of
Chinese and Western maps and books and a wide array of 'Jezuit'
astronomical instruments. Among the porcelain, a set of 12 monochrome
Yongzheng chrysanthemum dishes in different glazes is stunning; there
is a Yixing teapot inscribed with a poem by Qianlong and some very
good imperial pieces. From Denmark there is export porcelain used at
Court, six newly-discovered sconces of Chinese enamel on copper and
several pieces from the very important Royal collection of Chinese
export lacquer that are extremely well documented - the original
invoices being exhibited.
The catalogue is fully in Danish, English and Chinese. Eighteen
essays by Chinese and Western scholars offer new research, whilst all
exhibits are described and have relevant comments. Illustrated
throughout in colour.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?c/CHP061

CRIMJ1
Crill, R. & Stanley, T: THE MAKING OF THE JAMEEL GALLERY OF ISLAMIC
ART. London, 2006. 179 pp. Colour illustrations throughout.
GBP 35.00
Details the renovation and reorganisation of the Victoria & Albert
Museum's Islamic art galleries together with a history of the
collection.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?c/CRIMJ1

RAA061
Dehejia, V. et al: CHOLA. Sacred Bronzes of Southern India. London,
2006. 157 pp. 120 colour illustrations. Glossary, bibliography,
index. 31x23 cm. Cloth.
GBP 35.00
Catalogue of an exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts in London
showing nearly thirty Chola bronzes dating from the 8th to 13th
centuries. Extensively illustrated and described. With contributions
by John Guy, John Eskenazi and Daud Ali.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?d/RAA061

EBREH1
Ebrey, P. & Bickford, M. ed: EMPEROR HUIZONG AND LATE NORTHERN SONG
CHINA. The Politics of Culture and the Culture of Politics.
Cambridge, 2006. xvi, 625 pp. plus 9 pp. colour & 22 pp. b/w plates.
23x16 cm. Cloth.
GBP 40.00
Huizong was an exceptional emperor and celebrated aesthete who lived
through momentous times. He was a famous collector of painting and
calligraphy and, indeed, developed his own elegant calligraphic
style. He promoted Daoism, wrote poetry and ruled over a period when
the Song struggled ineffectively against the Jurchen state of Jin.
Huizong was ultimately captured by the Jin and the Song state had to
recreate itself in the South in Hangzhou. A study that explores
Huizong's reign from many perspectives.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?e/EBREH1

FRENO1
Freeman, Michael: THE NEW ORIENTAL STYLE. London, 2006. 272 pp. 344
colour plates. 25x23 cm. Cloth.
GBP 24.95
A fine, wide-ranging and intelligent selection of stunning interior
designs from across new Asia.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?f/FRENO1

JACTT3
Jackson, David L. and Janice A: TIBETAN THANGKA PAINTING. Methods and
Materials. Chicago, 2006. 192 pp. 185 illustrations, numerous text
figures. Bibliography and indexes. 30x22 cm. Paper.
GBP 25.00
The first definitive study of the techniques and materials used in
Tibetan scroll painting. Illustrated paintings are selected primarily
from the Victoria & Albert Museum, many of them hitherto unpublished.
Paperback edition, 4th reprinting, 2006.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?j/JACTT3

KEYE01
Keyes, Roger: EHON. The Artist and the Book in Japan. Seattle, 2006.
320 pp. 250 colour illustrations 31x24 cm. Cloth.
GBP 29.00
Accompanies an exhibition at the New York Public Library. Traces the
history and evolution of ehon (Japanese illustrated books) through 70
key works, many very rare and considered masterpieces of the genre.
Examines the tradition of ehon from its beginnings through to the
present day. A good contribution.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?k/KEYE01

MEA061
McElney, Brian: CHINESE CERAMICS AND THE MARITIME TRADE PRE 1700.
Bath, 2006. 189 pp. 115 colour plates and 15 additional
illustrations. 30x23 cm. Cloth.
GBP 35.00
Accompanies the exhibition at the Museum of East Asian Art in Bath.
Explores in detail the relatively unknown subject of Chinese export
wares from the Tang through to the early Qing dynasty. Illustrated
throughout. Dual text in English and Chinese.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/MEA061

MAR061
Marchant & Son: BLANC DE CHINE.   156 pp. 120 pieces illustrated in
many colour plates. Bibliography. 30x21 cm. Cloth.
GBP 75.00
Dealer's catalogue with a fine and well-illustrated selection of
pieces. Introduction by John Ayers.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/MAR061

HKU061
Miller, Tony  & Hui, Humphrey: ELEGANCE IN RELIEF: CARVED PORCELAIN
FROM JINGDEZHEN OF THE 19TH TO EARLY 20TH CENTURIES. Suying Fuying:
Jingdezhen Qingmo Minchu Diaoci. Hong Kong, 2006. 358 pp. Colour
plates throughout.  31x24 cm. Cloth.
GBP 50.00
Catalogue accompanying an exhibition at the Hong Kong University
Museum and Art Gallery which discusses in much detail, and with
colour illustration of numerous examples, carved Chinese porcelain
from Jingdezhen of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Includes
ceramics in various forms and also a good section on carved ceramic
snuff bottles. An excellent contribution to the subject. Dual text in
Chinese and English.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/HKU061

RICT02
Ricard, Matthieu: TIBET. An Inner Journey. London, 2006. 232 pp. c.
200 colour plates. 26x24 cm. Cloth.
GBP 28.00
The author is resident in the Shechen monastery in Nepal and has been
in a position to provide an unprecedented photographic insight into
undiscovered Tibet.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?r/RICT02

SCHWI1
Schiermieir, Kris and Matti Forrer: WONDERS OF IMPERIAL JAPAN. Meiji
Art from the Khalili Collection. Amsterdam, 2006. 128 pp. Colour and
b/w plates throughout. 30x24 cm. Paper.
GBP 14.95
Catalogue accompanying an exhibition at the Van Gogh Museum in
Amsterdam. In Dutch and English.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?s/SCHWI1

SILPT1
Silbergeld, Jerome et al. ed: PERSISTENCE/TRANSFORMATION. Text as
Image in the Art of Xu Bing. Princeton, 2006. 131 pp. B/w
illustrations.  25x17 cm. Paper.
GBP 15.95
Xu Bing has been called the most innovative Chinese artist of our
time. This is the first multidisciplinary study of Xu Bing's art and
its intellectual implications.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?s/SILPT1

COLL23
Wilson, Ming and Stacey Pierson ed: THE ART OF THE BOOK IN CHINA. PDF
Colloquies, Art & Archaeology in Asia 23. London, 2006. 264 pp. 136
b/w illustrations.  28x22 cm. Paper.
GBP 25.00
This is the publication of 15 papers (illustrated and edited) from an
international colloquy exploring the production, readership and
connoisseurship of Chinese books. The colloquy was held in London
under the auspices of the Percival David Foundation in summer 2005.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?w/COLL23