From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Gail R Gilbert
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 9:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] UV Protection

Colleagues,

I'm working with Physical Plant on protecting books and artwork from UV
rays produced by fluorescent bulbs.  I want to cover the fluorescent
bulbs with bulb jackets.

We have drop ceilings; the fluorescent bulbs are recessed and covered
with a plastic panel.  Because putting bulb jackets on each tube is
labor intensive, Physical Plant suggests I replace the panels (each of
which is approximately 2' x 4') with panels that have UV protection in
them or on them.  The trouble is, I cannot find out if such a thing
exists.  Perhaps I've got the name wrong-- Physical Plant calls these
panels  lens diffusers.

Do any of you have knowledge of such an item?

Thanks.

Gail R. Gilbert
Margaret M. Bridwell Art Library
Schneider Hall