Dear colleagues,

A researcher is looking for a high-quality illustration of a painting entitled "Manhood Suffrage Riots in Hyde Park, 1866" by Nathan Hughes.  Of course, a Google search comes up with a poor illustration of it on commercial sites, but with no valuable scholarly information.

I've tried to find catalogs of Hughes' work, biography, where the painting might be housed, etc... to no avail.  Tried all the big sources of course (Grove, BHA, Benezit, World Art) and a lot of the smaller sources (painting indexes, collection catalogs,...) and only found ONE reference to Nathan Hughes at all in the second edition of Wood's  _Dictionary of Victorian Painters_, in which there is almost no information other than his "flourished" dates and references to two other paintings, not the one I need.

I'm at my wit's end!  If anyone has any other recommendations or information about Hughes and his work, please contact me directly off-list.

Many thanks!!

Don

_________________________________

Donald R. Juedes
Librarian for Art History, Classics, & Philosophy
Research Services & Collections
Milton S. Eisenhower Library of the Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University
3400 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218-2683

410/516-0605