Dear friends,

If anyone is curious about the Rice University Press redux, I have a
recent interview about the press with Chuck Henry available at
http://library-cafe.org, who also talks a bit about problems facing
scholars attempting to publish art books.     For further reading I
highly recommend Susan Bielstein's book: Permissions, a Survival
Guide: Blunt Talk About Art as Intellectual Property. Susan is the
art editor for the University of Chicago Press.  There is also an
excellent article in Septembers Art in America by Christopher Lyon of
Prestel entitled: "The Art Book's Last Stand?"  (p .47ff).

Tom H.

>Colleagues,
>
>I'm pleased to ask you to point your browser to the Web site of the
>Rice University Press, the first all-digital university press:
>http://ricepress.rice.edu.
>
>Working under an open source e-publishing platform developed at
>Rice, there are two publications to date (both appear under a
>Creative Commons license):
>Hilary Ballon and Mariet Westermann, Art History and Its
>Publications in the Electronic Age (2006). Report on a study funded
>by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, co-published by the Council on
>Library and Information Resources (CLIR).
>Lawrence McGill, The State of Scholarly Publishing in the History of
>Art and Architecture (2006). Companion report to Ballon-Westermann.
>
>The publications as well as the publication model itself should
>prove interesting to this audience.
>
>--
>Mark Pompelia
>Director, Visual Resources Center