Lucie, Nina, et al,

Just a reminder that this issue has been discussed on arlis-l and at
ARLIS/NA conferences in the past.  Try searching the arlis-l archives
under terms such as:
(full text) AND (art journals)
and other such terms.  Both JSTOR and H.W. Wilson have actively
sought our input in the past for preparing priority lists of art &
architecture journals that we'd like them to provide online.

Just some observations & thoughts:

At the Univ. of Texas at Austin we now have 222 titles in our listing
of "Architecture, Fine, and Decorative Arts" e-journals.  Of course,
some only have backfiles online, others only have recent issues
online, and some are free e-journals.  222 is a long way from the
over 2,000 titles indexed by the Avery Index (which would be my user
group's priority list of titles they want online), but every year the
list grows.

As of today (December 1, 2007), Ulrich's lists 647 online titles with
"art" as a subject heading (146 of these are "refereed"); 269 online
titles with "architecture" as a subject heading (56 of these are
"refereed"); and 154 online titles with "design" as a subject heading
(2 of these are "refereed").  Many of these are obviously duplicated.
In contrast, Ulrich's lists 5,027 titles with "art" as a subject
heading (366 of these are "referred"); 1,737 titles with
"architecture" as a subject heading (144 of these are "refereed");
and 1,511 titles with "design" as a subject heading (3 of these are
"refereed").

The Association of Architecture School Librarians (AASL) maintains a
"Core list of periodical titles for a first-degree-program in
architecture (for architecture libraries in North America)," see:
http://www.library.njit.edu/archlib/aasl/core-list/.  Perhaps this is
one way to approach priority needs: by compiling 'core lists' of
titles in other visual arts disciplines.  (Note: the AASL list only
includes titles that are currently being published, not ceased
titles.  I believe that we can certainly argue for the need for
digital versions of ceased titles.  Perhaps we should look at our
inter-library loan statistics to prioretize digital backfile needs?).

Best wishes,
Janine Henri
--
Head Librarian