Our school recently merged with a large college.  The art library will remain a separate library located in the art building.
We are beginning the process of retrospective conversion and I am spending a lot of time explaining why it is important to retain our deviance from the usual LC practice of splitting up monographs on the same artist because the book wss produced for an exhibition,as in this example:

Donald Judd   ed. Nicholas Serota

NB237.J83 A4 2004

N6537.J83 A4 2004

For many reasons, I prefer the first but as this discussion keeps coming up, I would like to hear reasons/justifications for either side from anyone who has confronted this problem.
I am not a cataloger so I may be explaining myself in a way they don't get. But they haven't offered any good explanation for why their way is better, just that my way is more work.  Right now, we are only dealing with new books and it does not affect many titles but when we get to converting records, it will create lots more work to do it their way.

Also, does anyone have any idea if many libraries follow this practice?

Thanks for any help.