Dear Colleagues:

I last updated you about our publication project on art museum librarianship about 20 months ago when I was still soliciting writers for the project, which will be ARLIS/NA Occasional Paper No. 16.  Just a few weeks ago, the manuscript was sent off to Scarecrow Press, which will be co-publishing the book with ARLIS/NA.  Scarecrow will produce and distribute it.  The new title is Art Museum Libraries and Librarianship and books should be in hand by April of next year in time to celebrate in Atlanta.  This project would not have been possible without the strong support of members of the ARLIS/NA Museum Libraries Division and the good counsel of Paul Glassman, Occasional Papers Editor Emeritus.

Art Museum Libraries and Librarianship is not a book of standards; it describes current practices in art museum libraries and the diverse experiences of art museum librarians, visual resource curators, and archivists working in large and small, encyclopedic and specialized art museum libraries today.  It is the first publication of its kind.

The book is divided into 16 chapters that include 61 essays by 43 authors, all art museum librarians, from the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and Australia.  The foreword is by Michael Brand, Director, J. Paul Getty Museum and the introduction is by Ann Abid, Head (ret.), Cleveland Museum of Art Library.  A separate section that we are calling "thumbnail sketches," includes brief profiles of 15 diverse art museum libraries in the U.S., Canada, and Europe.  Appendices list academic programs of interest, relevant professional associations, and sample policies and procedures.  A bibliographic section provides further reading on each of the chapter topics and an index will cross-reference the many situations addressed within each essay.  It will be illustrated with over 90 black and white images of the art museums, their libraries, and items from their collections.

More details will be available as we get closer to the publication date.

Joan M. Benedetti, Editor
Art Museum Libraries and Librarianship
A Co-Publication of ARLIS/NA and Scarecrow Press