Dear ARLIS/NA members,
Much has been happening in ARLIS/NA during the last six weeks or so and this is an update.

First of all, our Publications Committee has successfully moved book reviews from the printed Art Documentation to our new electronic version: ARLIS/NA Reviews, found on the ARLIS/NA web site under "Resources". There you will find book reviews, with book cover images, and links to the reviews in pdf format. Kudos to the Publications Committee for their hard work!

Our new slate of officers has now been posted to the ARLIS/NA web site, under the member's only portion. Please look at this and be sure to comment by the deadline that Laura Schwartz mentioned in her e-mail of last week. This is a terrific slate and I am very pleased that these people have offered their services to ARLIS/NA.

We have had several chapters vote to sign the ARLIS/NA and chapter affiliation agreements:

DC-MD-VA
Twin Cities
Mountain West
Northern California
Delaware Valley (DVC)
Southern California
Western New York
Texas/Mexico
ARLISMidstates
North West

Elizabeth Clarke and I have passed along an agreement for the Canadian chapters that delineates some specific differences between chapters in the US and Canada.  Other chapters are either voting or are preparing to vote; the deadline for signed agreements is December 15th, 2006.

A few months ago there was an interesting thread on the ARLIS/NA and VRA listservs about our organizations and the similarities in our daily work, etc. Through the thread of discussion, the idea of a joint ARLIS/NA and VRA committee on collaboration be formed to look at the relationship between the two organizations, analyzing the overlap of interests as well as areas of uniqueness focusing on the organizational structures of the two associations and recommending collaborative possibilities.  The Task Force will gather information from the memberships of the VRA and ARLIS/NA through open fora, surveys, focus group sessions, interviews, and other appropriate means. Finally the Task Force will look at other organizations with interests related to those of ARLIS/NA and the VRA to explore the concept of creating a federation of affiliated societies and associations. A federation would pull like groups together more often for conferences, workshops, or other appropriate joint ventures. Different than a merger, a federation provides opportunities for similar groups to work together more formally than is done now. Expected outcomes include an analysis of the commonalities and differences between ARLIS/NA and VRA; a list of recommendations for potential collaborative ventures; and recommendations for creating a possible federation among a group of like-minded organizations. The committee is being formed as we speak, with representatives from both ARLIS/NA and VRA. The work of the committee is expected to be completed by June, 2007.

The ARLIS/NA Education Task Force has been formed, and will begin work in the next few weeks. Members of the task force include Carole Ann Fabian (chair), Jeanne Brown, Ligaya Ganster, Don Juedes, Elizabeth Peck Learned, Martha Mahard, Lucie Stylianopoulos, and Tony White.

As always, if you have questions, please let me know.
Best,
Ann

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ann Baird Whiteside
Head, Rotch Library of Architecture & Planning
MIT
Room 7-238
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139