November 23, 2006

Dear ARLIS/NA Members and Colleagues,

It is time to renew your Art Libraries Society of North America membership!
Our new membership year begins in January 2007 so please renew today before
the holiday mail load and the press of festivities interfere with your good
intentions.

I doubt I have to tell you why belonging to ARLIS/NA is an important
professional commitment, but allow me to point out a few of the direct and
indirect benefits of membership.

Benefit to the profession: your membership in ARLIS/NA supports the Society,

which supports the profession as a whole. As a Society focused on the needs
of arts information professionals, we weigh in on public issues, we identify
standards to guide and support our work, we focus attention on important
professional issues, and we produce materials we can use to do our jobs more
effectively.

ARLIS/NA has a growing publications program. Our semi-annual journal Art
Documentation is both a venue for many of our members to share their
insights and research, and a source of both scholarly and practical
information. Our Occasional Papers series of monographs has most recently
published on core competencies for art library and visual resources
professionals, instruction for design students, and best practices for
participating in accreditation of design programs. Occasional Papers on
small museum management and several other topics are in the planning
or production stages. The "News and Events" portion of the ARLIS/NA website
is our online newsletter, providing information about recent Society events,
news of members, and the institutions in which we work, ARLIS/NA committee
news, and so on.

ARLIS/NA Web Site is a vital source of information about jobs in the field,
for current access to book reviews, and for information about ARLIS/NA
itself. It has been redesigned and reconceived to make it even more useful
and beautiful. We continue to implement new features on the web site, and
our plans include adding other types of services via the web.

Projects underway or in the planning stages: ARLIS/NA has several projects
underway that address our mission to support the art information
professional, including a Digital Database Standards Checklist (DIDSC), a
salary survey, collection of peer statistics, and more.

The ARLIS/NA Handbook and List of Members is one of the most appreciated
benefits of ARLIS/NA membership. The new functionality of the online
Members' Directory makes it even easier to find and keep in touch with
colleagues and to enable networking.

Annual conference: the Atlanta conference, April 26-30, 2007 will be another

wonderful conference in a warm, sunny climate. The conference will have
workshops, sessions, and tours that will be delivered in the Sheraton
Midtown Atlanta, next door to the High Museum of Art. ARLIS/NA conferences
serve to advance both professional development and networking. Of course,
members receive reduced conference registration!

The fourth annual Summer Educational Institute for Visual Resources and
Image Management will be held at Indiana University next summer. The
previous three institutes have been extremely popular and successful.
Members register at reduced costs for this professional development
opportunity.

The Society continues to grow. We are now at approximately 1,145 members.
Our members are active and engaged in the profession and our society. Each
one of us is also critical to the mission of the Society. Please renew your
membership today!!

Also, please consider donating to the Society, as so many of you have in the

past.  The membership form provides opportunities to give at a variety of
levels. Your contribution at whatever the level will be most appreciated.

I am pleased to be your president and thank you for all of your support of,
hard work for, and involvement in ARLIS/NA.

Best Regards,

Ann Whiteside
ARLIS/NA President

cc:  ARLIS/NA Admin

Check the ARLIS/NA website for complete renewal information, membership
application form and secure on-line renewal:  www.arlisna.org/join.html