Eileen,
Another "advantage" of the collective environment in OCLC/RLIN was the
impetus to use similar practices as well as sharing standards. OCLC or
RLIN records from the early years are much more quirky than recent
records. Of course, now we're trying to quirk 'em up with folksonomy
and point-of-view.

Virtual sharing via OAI or other methods, as outlined by Susan, seems
more promising than trying to build a single image record repository, a
la OCLC/RLIN. If we book catalog builders were starting from scratch,
we probably wouldn't rebuild OCLC. Hmm, I kept saying I wanted to see
UCAI; how fast time changes the landscape we work in.

Sherman Clarke
NYU Libraries