Hello,
I have a group of students trying to identify a piece of pottery that
was discovered in our gallery's collection.  They haven't been able to
identify it through any inventory papers or exhibition catalogs in their
holdings.  They've tried a number of permutations using Google's image
page.  And I've been looking through our limited collection on ceramics
and in our reference material on Latin America.

Here's what they've gleaned so far:
It's fairly modern, perhaps tourism art (it looks quite old to me, but
I've only seen the pictures).  It's burnished red clay, with charcoal
smudges.  They believe it is decorative (non-functional).  There is a
serpent wound around the spout, and the creature at the other end has
not been identified (perhaps a bat or panther -- claws or simply
digits?).  The hole at the base of the piece goes straight through the
bottom.  The triangular designs were etched onto the piece.

Photos posted at:
http://www.ithacalibrary.com/temp/pots.php

 From what little I know, I'd guess it was South or Central American (in
a style similar to Chachapoya or Chorrera pottery), but I can't find any
images containing a similar handle, or quite the same shape.

Any pointers, such as time and place,  would be immensely appreciated!
Sincerely,
Jenny Strickland