Folks, I got the following query from some students who are working in our Visual Resources Collection (aka Slide Library). Since our library has a 1.3 million-item collection and uses III Millennium--and since I am not now and never have been a cataloger--this is way outside my area of expertise. Any recommendations for how to accomplish what the students describe below? You can respond to me, or directly to Alison Jochim at [log in to unmask]. Thanks for any help you can give.

What we are trying to organize is a list of about 400 VHS videotapes in the VRC collection. We are hoping to make this small collection searchable by topic/artist, art movement, title, and date. This info was provided to us in a File Maker Pro database as well as exported to an Excel file.

We are trying to find out a way to put this database on a web page and make it have a friendly, searchable interface. I think we were hoping to find someone with a method of doing this other than extensive knowledge of computer programming--we don't know much about scripting language such as PHP. I don't know if such a method even exists, though. If it doesn't, we want to find out what most online cataloguers do, and see if we can copy that.

Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | [log in to unmask]
Interim Head of Collection Development
Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
San Jose State University Library (http://www.sjlibrary.org)

Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)