Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. Re: [ARLIS-L] slide cabinets and digital slide libraries

Kay,

If you want to buy cabinets, look at Neumade. They are the standard, modular metal cabinet for slides. You would need four 5-drawer cabinets for 10,000 Gepe or glass-mounted slides.

John

Hello all,

Although I am not an art librarian, I am the bibliographer for the art department at our college. My art department has a collection of  over10,000 slides housed in a set of very old filing cabinets that need to be replaced. I've done some searching online, but with little luck. I thought I'd ask the members of this list (who have more knowledge than Google) if you could recommend companies or systems who make cabinets or other large slide filing systems that might be worth investigating.

As an alternative, I have suggested to the art department that they replace the physical slide collection with digital collections they can purchase from various commercial vendors. Those I've found include ARTstor, Corbis (Gale), Davis Art Images, and Universal Art Images. Are there others you could recommend?

I very much appreciate any suggestions and ideas. Thank you!

Kay Benjamin
Reference, Instruction, and Government Documents Librarian
SUNY College at Oneonta
Oneonta, NY 13820

John J. Taormina
Director, Visual Resources Center
Dept. of Art, Art History & Visual Studies
Duke University
Box 90764
112 East Duke Building
Durham  NC 27708-0764