In my capacity as a member of the Grove Art Advisory Board, I am pleased to
share the following news:

*Online Art Publishing Thrives – October 2006*

*New Collaboration between Grove Art Online and The Metropolitan Museum of
Art  *

Oxford University Press is pleased to announce a new agreement under which
The Metropolitan Museum of Art will illustrate – with 2,000 images of works
of art from its encyclopedic collection – Grove Art Online (*www.groveart.com
*), a subscription-based, art-historical resource. This collaboration will
enhance the extensive art-historical information provided by Grove Art
Online with images from a broad range of areas.

"The Metropolitan Museum of Art is pleased to make available images of
highlights of its collections to illustrate Grove Art Online. This is one of
a series of initiatives undertaken by the Met to more widely distribute
images of its works within the scholarly community. The high level of
scholarship in this important electronic resource and its widespread use
throughout the academic world will make it an ideal venue for the Met's
images," said Andrew Gessner, Chief Librarian of the Image Library at The
Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Christine Kuan, Senior Editor of Grove Art Online, also expressed her
enthusiasm for this significant partnership. "We are delighted that The
Metropolitan Museum of Art, a world-class institution with matchless
treasures from our cultural heritage, will be supporting scholarly art
publishing by enriching Grove Art Online's textual content with valuable
visual material. Art images are vital to engaging readers and elucidating
art history, and we believe that this partnership will greatly benefit the
art, education, and research communities we serve."

Images will include works by such photographers as Atget, Kasebier, and
Southworth & Hawes; paintings,  drawings, or prints by such artists as
Cassatt, Degas, Sargent, Whistler, Hokusai, Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael,
El Greco, Rembrandt, and Vermeer; clothing by such designers as Chanel  and
Versace; and many more. This agreement complements Grove Art Online's
fast-developing art image program—now with more than 3,000 images from
artists, scholars, galleries, and museums, including the British Museum. The
selection of Met images will be added to the site at
www.groveart.combeginning in summer 2007.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art – which is located at Fifth Avenue and
82ndStreet in New York City – is a universal, encyclopedic museum with
collection of more than two million works of art spanning nearly 5,000 years
of world culture.  More than 10,000 of these works may be seen online on the
museum's extensive website at www.metmuseum.org.

--
Christine L. Sundt
Visual Resources Consultant and Educator