Dear Friends and Colleagues:

This month Grove Art Online (www.groveart.com) launches the women artists update which has been guest edited by Whitney Chadwick (San Francisco State University) and Aaris Sherin (St John’s University). The update expands the broad coverage of women in Grove Art Online (now over 850 biographies) by adding nearly 120 new articles and essays on women artists and designers, and over 120 new images of works by women. New biographies include Kara Walker, Shahzia Sikander, Hildegard of Bingen, Valie Export, Guerrilla Girls, Destiny Deacon, Sheila de Bretteville, Paula Scher and more. New essays cover key subjects such as Women and Collaborative Practice, Women and Performance, and Women and Transnationalism. In addition three seminal artists—Faith Ringgold, Kiki Smith and Jacqueline Winsor—reflect on their artistic development and the art world today in illuminating interviews.

We are also delighted to announce our landmark agreement with The Metropolitan Museum of Art for 2,000 images to be included in Grove Art Online by summer 2007. The timing of this important collaboration could not have come at a more perfect moment as we celebrate The Dictionary of Art's 10th anniversary this month.

Finally, we invite you to take a look at a brand new Grove Art print publication, The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts (edited by Gordon Campbell). This two-volume encyclopedia provides comprehensive information on this rapidly growing subject area with 3,000 entries and over 680 illustrations. The publication contains 2,000 updated and revised entries culled from Grove Art Online, as well as 1,000 entirely new entries focusing on the decorative arts.

See details about the Women Artist Update at:

http://www.groveart.com/grove-owned/art/whats_new.html

See details about The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts at:

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/ArtArchitecture/History/?view=usa&ci=9780195189483

Many thanks to all of the scholars, museums, galleries, and artists for their generous contributions to Grove Art. We hope you will continue to find the growing diversity and depth of Grove Art Online valuable and enjoyable. Please feel free to send me your comments and recommendations regarding the editorial program.

Sincerely,

Christine Kuan

Christine Kuan

Senior Editor

Grove Art Online/Grove Dictionaries of Art

Oxford University Press

198 Madison Avenue

New York, NY 10016-4314

www.groveart.com