Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. Shelflists

Dear Colleagues,
        As of 5/31/06 The Newark Museum Library has joined The Newark Public Library in a consortium. Our bibliography records -- over 21,000 of them (everything cataloged since 1996 plus the retrospective records for our special collections) -- are now available on-line at www.npl.org. Now we are going to have to convert the rest of the bibliographic records -- close to 25,000 of them.

        This advance in bibliographic control has changed the way we do on-going cataloging. We use NPL's catalog as our first source for information. If not available there, we then use Marcive or OCLC. We no longer receive catalog cards for our manual card catalog, but we are still getting shelflist cards from Marcive and OCLC. However, we are not getting shelflist cards from NPL. We would have to make them ourselves, which seems to be too time-consuming.

        My question to the list is: Should I be concerned about maintaining the shelflist? At the moment (and in the foreseeable future), it is and will remain my only master file. It includes important accession information, such as donor's name, etc... Do other libraries that have automated their catalogs still maintain their shelflist? At what point did you stop maintaining it?

        A related question for all you catalogers is: How do I indicate the accession information on the item record as opposed to the bibliographic record? If I use a MARC field, doesn't that become part of the bibliographic record? Would adding this kind of information to the item record depend upon the peculiar automation system that I am using? (in this case III's Millennium system?)

        All suggestions to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
        Sincerely yours,
William A. Peniston, Ph.D.
Manager of Library and Archives
The Newark Museum