I'd like to thank every one who responded to my query about evaluating web sites.  I have had requests to compile the responses, so here goes.  I did get several helpful suggestions about GOOD sites to recommend.  Does anyone have any particularly BAD sites to demo to undergraduates (i.e. sites that are inaccurate or not scholarly)?  OK to respond off list on this one.

Recommended sites:

1.  Art Information and the Internet: How to Find It, How to Use It, by Lois Swan Jones.  (Phoenix: Oryx Press, 1999).

2.  RE: Lois Swan Jones' book--it is also available electronically, if you get  'ebrary'...

3.  The Metropolitan Museum of Art's "Timeline of Art History" is a fabulous resource for students of art history, particularly undergraduates.  It includes hundreds of essays (written by the Museum's own curators and research staff) on art movements,  civilizations, etc. as well as individual artists.   Here's the link: (http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/splash.htm)

4.  In the past, I had asked students to look at Internet Detective, the best online tutorial I had yet run across. It went away and looks like it is now back with a new interface. I haven't used the new one yet,
http://www.vts.intute.ac.uk/detective/ but if it's anything like the first, it's worth checking out.

5. Search Choice reviews Online --> Advanced Search, Select:
    Subject: Humanities - Art and Architecture AND
    Format: Internet resources only
    You can also limit the above search to Outstanding titles.

6. There is also a related tutorial for Historians, which you may find more
applicable to Art History.  You can find that at:
http://www.vts.intute.ac.uk/he/tutorial/history

If you are interested in Researching a building in New York City, you
may find the following website useful:
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/indiv/avery/nycbuild.html

7. Exploring themes in American Art
http://www.nga.gov/education/american/aasplash.htm

8. Art History Resources on the Web
http://witcombe.sbc.edu/ARTHLinks.html

9. Mother of all Art and Art History Links
http://art-design.umich.edu/mother/

Thanks again to all who responded!

Marianne

Marianne Hebert wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">I am posting this query on behalf of a colleague who is teaching an upcoming Information Literacy class for an undergraduate art history course.  The class is on evaluating web sites for art history topics, e.g. sites that would be retrieved via a google search.  She is mostly interested in sites that cover art movements, styles, etc. such as Mannerism, Art Deco, rather than just images.  She is looking for examples of web sites that may be considered in-accurate or un-reliable as well as comparable sites that could be considered authoritative or "peer reviewed".  Her predecessor used examples from medical web site on topics such as pancreatic cancer to explain how to go about evaluating web sites.  My colleague would prefer to use art specific examples to help make the assignment more relevant.

If anyone has any examples they'd be willing to share, we'd be most grateful.

Thanks, Marianne

Marianne Hebert
Associate Librarian
Crumb Library 228