From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Marianne Hebert
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 1:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Evaluation of web sites for ART class

I am posting this query on behalf of a colleague who is teaching an upcoming
Information Literacy class for an undergraduate art history course.  The
class is on evaluating web sites for art history topics, e.g. sites that
would be retrieved via a google search.  She is mostly interested in sites
that cover art movements, styles, etc. such as Mannerism, Art Deco, rather
than just images.  She is looking for examples of web sites that may be
considered in-accurate or un-reliable as well as comparable sites that could
be considered authoritative or "peer reviewed".  Her predecessor used
examples from medical web site on topics such as pancreatic cancer to
explain how to go about evaluating web sites.  My colleague would prefer to
use art specific examples to help make the assignment more relevant.

If anyone has any examples they'd be willing to share, we'd be most
grateful.

Thanks, Marianne

Marianne Hebert
Associate Librarian