Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. Hanshan Tang Books New List 136 + Philosophy

Records for our new List 136
- including a special section on Philosophy -
(chiefly Chinese philosophy and religious thought)
have been added to our web site at:
     http://www.hanshan.com

The printed version of list 136 will be mailed out shortly.
PDF VERSIONS (Portable Document Format)
of our catalogues are also available on the site. Visit:
     http://www.hanshan.com?pdf

Please also see below for records of a few choice items.

If you did not get a copy of our *previous* catalogue 135, then you may have fallen
off the list for mailing of the printed version. Please get in touch if you
would  like to be reinstated. If you did get 135 and you have been active, the paper
copy of 136 will be on its way to you in due course. (Unless you have recently
asked to receive electronic notification only.)
---------------------------

A FEW GOOD NEW BOOKS JUST IN

CARBH1
Carroll, Peter J: BETWEEN HEAVEN AND MODERNITY. Reconstructing Suzhou, 1895-1937. Stanford, 2006. xvi, 325 pp. 25 b/w illustrations, including 4 maps. Bibliography, index. 24x16 cm. Cloth.
GBP 45.00
Available
Combining social and cultural history, this book examines conflicts and resolutions over space, history and power during the reconstruction of the ancient city of Suzhou during the late Qing and Republican periods.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?c/CARBH1

COACM1
Coats, Bruce ed: CHIKANOBU. Modernity and Nostalgia in Japanese Prints. Amsterdam, 2006. 208 pp. Over 200 colour illustrations. Bibliography, index. 30x30 cm. Cloth.
GBP 55.00
Available
Chikanobu was one of the most popular ukiyo-e print artists of the 1880s and 1890s. He used the medium to document the rapid change taking place in Tokyo but also recorded traditional customs and lifestyles. Provides a well-illustrated overview of Chikanobu's career and also serves as the catalogue to a travelling exhibition at Scripps College in Claremont, California and elsewhere. Essays by Allen Hockley, Kyoko Kurita and Joshua S. Mostow.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?c/COACM1

DEAHL1
Deal, William E: HANDBOOK TO LIFE IN MEDIEVAL AND EARLY MODERN JAPAN. Handbook to Life Series. New York, 2006. 415 pp. Numerous b/w illustrations and plates. 5 maps, 17 tables & charts. List of museums. Bibliography, index. 24x20 cm. Boards.
GBP 55.00
Available
Remarkably thorough and engaging reference work covering all aspects of life in Japan during this period from 1185-1868. Arranged by topic and with useful guides to further reading.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?d/DEAHL1

GGMC45
Gugong Museum: YUAN MING QIQI. (Yuan and Ming Dynasty Lacquer). Complete Collection of Treasures Gugong, 45. Shanghai, 2006. 28, 263 pp. 207 items illustrated in full colour plates with some detail plates. Colour text illustrations. 29x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 60.00
Available to order
Magnificent exposition of 207 examples of Yuan and Ming lacquer from the Qing Court collection. Divided according to dynasty. Mostly comprises carved lacquer with some painted, polychrome and inlaid examples. Another excellent survey in this essential series containing much previously unpublished material. Captions in English, otherwise Chinese text. Just published.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GGMC45

GGMC46
Gugong Museum: QINGDAI QIQI. Qing Dynasty Lacquer. Complete Collection of Treasures Gugong, 46. Hong Kong/China 2006. 30, 262 pp. 196 items illustrated in full colour plates with some detail plates. Colour text illustrations. 29x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 60.00
Available to order
Magnificent exposition of 196 examples of Qing lacquer. Slightly less than half the items shown are carved lacquer with further sections for 'carved filled-in', gold-painted, polychrome-painted, 'guangsu', and inlaid lacquer. An excellent survey in this essential series containing much previously unpublished material. Captions in English, otherwise Chinese text. Just published.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GGMC46

GULSC2
Gulik, Robert H. van trans: SCRAPBOOK FOR CHINESE COLLECTORS. A Chinese Treatise on Scrolls and Forgers - Shu-Hua-Shuo-Ling. Bangkok, 2006. 84 pp. English text, 16 pp. Chinese text. 3 b/w illustrations.  21x14 cm. Paper.
GBP 14.99
Available
A translation by van Gulik of the scrapbook left by the 18th-century connoisseur Lu Shihua, who devoted a lifetime to the collecting of antique books and pictures. Paperback reprint of the 1958 original.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GULSC2

HANSS3
Han Nabangqing; Zhang Ailing trans.; Eva Hung rev. and ed: THE SING-SONG GIRLS OF SHANGHAI. New York, 2005. xxviii, 554 pp.  Cloth.
GBP 19.99
Available
The first English translation of what is considered one of the greatest works of Chinese fiction from the last years of the imperial period. This wide-ranging novel describes the demi-monde of Shanghai, its pleasure quarters and the characters who dwelled there. Foreword by David Wang and an excellent concluding short essay by Eva Hung on 'The World of the Shanghai Courtesans'.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?h/HANSS3

ROM061
Han, Christina Hee-Yeon: KOREA AROUND 1900: THE PAINTINGS OF GISAN. Toronto, 2006. 128 pp. 56 fullpage colour plates. Bibliography. 25x16 cm. Wrappers.
GBP 32.00
Available
Gim Jun-guen, known as Gisan, was a Korean genre painter who documented daily life in late 19th-century Korea. This well-ilustrated book, produced by the Royal Ontario Museum, brings together paintings from the Ethnographic Museum in Leiden with the 27 unusually large painting in the Toronto collection. Provides a new perspective on the artist's work.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?h/ROM061

LEETK3
Lee Kyung Ja et al: TRADITIONAL KOREAN COSTUME. Folkestone, 2005. 336 pp. Over 200 colour plates and 600 drawings. Glossary, bibliography. 21x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 70.00
Available
A fine and very well-illustrated new contribution with much technical information including detailed drawings which give dimensions. Organized by type of clothing, this work documents the richness and variety of traditional Korean garments, ornaments and footwear dating back to the Joseon dynasty. Detailed commentaries which include methods of production. Just published.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?l/LEETK3

LOVGW1
Lovell, Julia: THE GREAT WALL. China Against the World 1000 BC-AD 2000. London, 2006. xvii, 412 pp. Numerous b/w plates. 6 maps. Appendixes, bibliography, index. 25x17 cm. Cloth.
GBP 19.99
Available to order
Described as an 'iconoclastic debut', this book explores the history of China and its relationship with the wider world by providing a detailed study of the Great Wall, China's most famous landmark.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?l/LOVGW1

MCDSH1
McDermott, Joseph P: A SOCIAL HISTORY OF THE CHINESE BOOK. Books and Literati Culture in Late Imperial China. Understanding China. Hong Kong, 2006. xiv, 294 pp. 7 b/w figures. Map. Bibliographical notes, index. 23x15 cm. Cloth.
GBP 45.00
Available
Both readable and learned, this provides one of the first accessible histories the book in China, making particular comparative and contrastive reference to the European tradition, and also providing innovative interdisciplinary scholarship in the relatively new field of the book's social history and culture.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/MCDSH1

MCKCF1
McKelway, Matthew Philip: CAPITALSCAPES: FOLDING SCREENS AND POLITICAL IMAGINATION IN LATE MEDIEVAL KYOTO. Honolulu, 2006. ix, 280 pp. 34 colour plates and hundreds of b/w illustrations throughout. Bibliography, index. 24x25 cm. Cloth.
GBP 45.00
Available
The first book-length study of the Kyoto screens - very well illustrated - this is a close visual and cultural reading of these intricately painted and highly-prized artworks. Of interest both to the art historian (providing a novel approach) and to anyone concerned with the history of Japanese cities.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/MCKCF1

MANHH1
Manheim, Ron et al: HAIKU & HAIGA. Moments in Word and Image. Amsterdam, 2006. 208 pp. 78 colour plates. Biographical notes, glossary. 31x26 cm. Cloth.
GBP 32.00
Available
Published to accompany the exhibition 'Haiku & Haiga - Moments in Words and Images: Japanese Paintings from Four Centuries' at the Museum Schloss Moyland in Bedburg-Hau, Germany. 77 fine examples illustrated and discussed in detail with artists' biographies. Dual text in German and English. An important contribution to the little-known field of haiga paintings.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/MANHH1
MICCA1
Michaelson, Carol and Jane Portal: CHINESE ART IN DETAIL. London, 2006. 144 pp. 150 colour illustrations. 21x21 cm. Cloth.
GBP 14.99
New stock due shortly
Highlights in close-up the workmanship, materials and design found in Chinese ceramics, lacquer, jade, metalwork, brush painting and woodblock printing. Both the complete object and close-up detail are shown. An alternative view providing insights into the expertise of Chinese craftsmen past and present.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/MICCA1

NGU2Y1
Nguyen Dinh Chien and Pham Quoc Quan: 2000 YEARS OF VIETNAMESE CERAMICS. 2000 nam gom Viet Nam. Hanoi, 2005. 300 pp. including 222 pp. with 398 colour and 5 b/w plates. Bibliographies. 29x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 55.00
Available
Very well-illustrated exposition of the entire spectrum of Vietnamese ceramics with dual language - Vietnamese and English - text and brief captions in both languages by prominent curators and archaeologists associated with the National Museum of Vietnamese History. Most of the ceramics are from this collection but other Vietnamese museums are also represented.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?n/NGU2Y1

PHAVB1
Pham Quoc Quan and Nguyen Dinh Chien: VIETNAMESE BROWN PATTERNED CERAMICS. Gom Hoa Nau Viet Nam. Hanoi, 2005. 224 pp. including 149 pp. with 200 colour and 3 b/w plates and 217 line drawings. Bibliography. 29x21 cm. Cloth.
GBP 50.00
Available
Detailed and extensively-illustrated exposition of the characteristic Vietnamese ceramics decorated with brown washed patterns, important to the Vietnamese ceramics tradition especially from the 11th through the 15th centuries. Dual English and Vietnamese text and captions.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?p/PHAVB1

SHAGM1
Shang Junyi: GUGONG MIJING. A Mystic Forbidden City: Once Upon a Time in the Imperial Palace. Beijing, 2006. 231 pp. Colour plates throughout. 29x24 cm. Cloth.
GBP 45.00
New stock due shortly
Gives the history of various halls, palaces and gates of the Forbidden City interspersed with fascinating and little-known episodes from the Forbidden City during the Ming and Qing dynasties such as: The Suspicion-Ridden Enthronement of Emperor Yongzheng; The Assassination Attempt against Emperor Jiajing by the Court Maids; Emperor Guangxu's Grand Wedding Ceremony; Thousand Seniors Banquet Held in the Hall of Imperial Supremacy; Stick Flogging at the Meridian Gate ... and more. Dual text in English and Chinese and accompanied by magnificent colour photography of the Forbidden City. Recommended.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?s/SHAGM1

ASSGS1
Shen, Hsueh-man ed: GILDED SPLENDOR: TREASURES OF CHINA'S LIAO EMPIRE (907-1125). Milan, 2006. 391 pp. 190 colour plates. Maps, chronology, glossary, bibliography, index. Boards.
GBP 50.00
Available
Magnificent catalogue produced for an exhibition of 121 items showing at the Asia Society, New York (then travelling to Koln and Zurich). Contributions by 12 international scholars provide essays on Liao history, archaeology and culture. Detailed cataloguing of the exhibits, with good colour plates (many full page) arranged in four sections: The Nomadic Heritage, The Han Chinese Burial Tradition, Religious Life, and Luxuries and Necessities. Useful appendixes. Recommended.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?s/ASSGS1
WALLC1
Waley, Arthur trans.; original woodcuts by Ralph Kiggell: LEADING THE CRANES HOME. A selection of Chinese poems translated by Arthur Waley. Llandogo, 2006. 52 pp. Introduction, title page with double page colour woodblock print and 24 poems each accompanied by a colour woodblock print. Afterword. 35x29 cm. Decorative boards. In Chinese-style slipcase.
GBP 195.00
Available
A selection of 24 poems taken from Waley's two works '170 Chinese Poems' and 'Chinese Poems'. The poems range in date from the Han to the Song dynasties and include works by China's greatest poets. In addition to the wonderful double page woodblock print of a crane on the title page, a colour woodblock print by the artist, Ralph Kiggell, accompanies each poem depicting the artist's interpretation of the poem, an aspect or a theme. Kiggell studied Chinese at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London where Waley had also studied. Kiggell's artistic interpretation of the poems thus undoubtedly possesses greater cultural insight than that of an artist purely versed in western culture. Many of the woodblocks are double page. The paper is 250 gsm Velin Arches, the type is Elizabeth, and Kiggell's woodcuts were all printed from the wood. Numbered edition of 150 copies, each signed by the artist. A beautiful and completely delicious work that is a collector's item.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?w/WALLC1

[log in to unmask]                  http://www.hanshan.com