Dear colleagues,

As many of you know, ARTstor has developed an offline presentation
software for using images in the classroom, the ARTstor Offline Image
Viewer (OIV). With the encouragement and help of many members of this
community, we have now developed "Public OIV" -- a freeware version to
be distributed for use by individuals unaffiliated with participating
ARTstor institutions. Public OIV can now be downloaded from the
following page of the ARTstor public web site
http://www.artstor.org/info/tools/tools_public_oiv.jsp.

Public OIV has key software features of ARTstor's Offline Image Viewer,
including the ability to:

- give Internet-independent image-based presentations

- zoom and pan images while presenting images offline

- create customized "slides" using both images and text

- use local (personal, institutional) images to build image collections

- import existing PowerPoint presentations

Public OIV does *not* offer the ability to

- download images and data from the ARTstor Digital Library

- upload local images into an ARTstor Personal Collection

- upload slide presentations to an ARTstor Personal Collection.

Public OIV is not supported by the ARTstor User Services Team, which is
of course dedicated to serving the needs of ARTstor participants.

We ask that *only* individuals unaffiliated with a participating ARTstor
institutions download and use Public OIV, so that affiliated individuals
benefit from the entire range features offered by ARTstor OIV. For a
list of participating institutions please see
http://www.artstor.org/info/participation_info/participants_list.jsp.

Finally, we would like to express our appreciation for the encouragement
and help we have received from so many of ARTstor's users and friends,
and we hope Public OIV will prove useful to its intended audience.

Thank you!

Carole Ann Fabian

Director of Strategic Outreach and User Services

ARTstor

Web: www.artstor.org <http://www.artstor.org/>