1.  To set the stage:  one of my New Orleans friends William Cullison has volunteered to help the Ochsner Medical Center in the suburb of Metairie to mount exhibits for the public from its own collection of art works.  Like so many institutions whose main mission is something other than that of a museum or an art gallery, not a whole lot of time and energy was put into inventoring the art works that have been accumulated over the years.  Now in order to facilitate this creation of monthly exhibits at the hospital my friend believes that something more than an Excel spreadsheet is needed.   This friend, before retiring some years ago, created/founded the Southeastern Architectural Archive at the Howard-Tilton Memorial Library at Tulane University and at the same time was responsible for warehousing, so to speak, the university's collection of donated artworks.  Consequently, he has a substantial amount of experience in mounting successful exhibits.

2.  The paragraph that follows was framed by him in his efforts to get a better handle on the Ochsner art collection:

Re collection management software: I have been looking at the Business Assets program, put out by Curatorial Management Systems in Nashville, which seems to be pretty user friendly, and has the capability we need (which at present is to record the necessary information for each item and it also allows us to sort and search pieces by location; of course, it does much more than just this).   Anyway, there are two other software packages that smaller institutions use: iO, put out by Willoughby (NOMA [New Orleans Museum of Art] uses a very elaborate Willoughby program--ti's fabulous) and TMS lite, put out by Gallery Systems. I really have not researched either of these additional programs, but would be interested to know how they compare with CMS Business Assets.  I tried to go through SAH (the Society for the Arts in Healthcare, not the Society of Architectural Historians!), but they did not have any advice to offer.   I did some networking. Vanderbilt has just purchased and installed Business Assets, Stanford is using an Excel spreadsheet (as is Ochsner), and Iowa is using PastPerfect (I think it's called, which I don't particularly like).  Anyway, if you know anyone who knows iO, TMS lite and CMS Business Assets, and could offer an opinion, I would be greatly interested.  (I think CMS is a fairly new company, so everyone may not be familiar with it).

3.  If anyone would like to share any information about any of the software programs that he has mentioned or about any other inventory programs that are in the marketplace,  I would be happy to pass your comments on to him.

Many thanks for any information that you might be able to share on these or related topics,

Floyd Zula

Floyd M(ike) Zula
4405 S.E. Rex Street
Portland, OR 97206