Dear ARLIS/NA Members,
The Board held its mid-year Board meeting in Minneapolis just a short time ago. We covered many topics and I would like share some of what we discussed with you.

A major effort of the Board meeting was to have a first look at next year's budget. We have had a couple of requests for software for specific groups within ARLIS/NA. It is clear that groups across the Society have a desire to serve ARLIS/NA members well, and the Board wants to support these efforts. Because there is need across the Society to improve services and benefits for members, we intend to look for holistic solutions that will benefit the Society as a whole. I hope that those who requested special funding for such projects in 2007 will understand the need for broader solutions which not only benefit the society but strategize on the best use of the society's funds. We feel confident that our budgeting process will bring some stability and growth within the next year.

We discussed next steps in the Chapter affiliation agreement process and have been working with the Chapter Officers on the chapter officers' listserv to establish a deadline of December 20th for the signing of affiliation agreements. This will provide all chapters time to talk about affiliation during their fall meetings. We continue to have discussion between the Board and chapter officers, which is interesting and enlightening.

The Assessment Task Force is compiling data from the recent online survey and is preparing a report for the Board and the ARLIS/NA membership. This report will be complete in the late winter, and there will be further opportunity to discuss the report and recommendations from the Task Force during the early spring, and at the Annual Business Meeting at our conference in Atlanta. Keep your eyes open for news from this important effort.

Another topic of discussion at our mid-year meeting was centered on communication throughout the Society. At our meeting, we discussed the various roles that our HQ staff plays in supporting ARLIS/NA, and how much time is devoted to our Society by McPherson Clarke. The Board, in concert with our Headquarters firm, has developed some strategies to help inform all of you about what is going on throughout ARLIS/NA. In addition to communication from me and other Board members, you will be hearing regularly from our headquarters staff about who the staff are, what they do, and the services McPherson Clarke provides for ARLIS/NA.  Messages will be sent to ARLIS-L, and articles will appear in our News and Events section of the ARLIS/NA web site.

Please let me or any Board member know if you have questions or thoughts.
Best,
Ann

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ann Baird Whiteside
Head, Rotch Library of Architecture & Planning
MIT
Room 7-238
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139