Hello friends,

After some quick searching in DYABOLA by author and keyword, I would
have to conclude that the free version and the subscription version
are by no means identical on every search.  In fact, the subscription
version w/ Brinkmann is the Catalogue of the Deutches
Archaiologisches Institut in Rome, while that of ZENON DAI  free site
is actually the combined catalogues of not only the DAI in Rome, but
in other locations including Istanbul, Athens, Cairo, Madrid, and
much more.  Thus results don't match much of the time. Sometimes the
subscription site has more entries than the free catalogues; other
times, it has less.

Here are my test results for a few searches:

Author:
Harrison, E.B.       Sub - 53 results                ZENON - 53

Smith, T.J.             Sub- 10 results                 ZENON - 9
(missing the latest publication from 2004)

Keyword:
Parthenon            Sub- 444 results               ZENON - TITLE  - 468

     ZENON - ALL    - 553

Parthenon frieze  Sub- 36 results                ZENON - TITLE - 56

Now, note on the keyword searches in ZENON that the first results
returned were all undated and unfinished catalogue entries.  Thus,
for Parthenon, the first 128 entries were old material and unfinished
records, so actually the results for that search were 340 and the
latest material did not appear until #130.  It was frustrating.

My present stance on this is to be cautious.  I will not give up the
subscription just yet, but use both.  At least ZENON is easy to print
and can email; I will use it more however, for authors than for
keyword and titles.  Hope this helps and not hinders the discussion.

yours,

lucie

Lucie Wall Stylianopoulos
Acting Head, Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library
Collections & Instruction Librarian
Librarian for Art/Archaeology, Architecture and Drama
University of Virginia
Bayly Drive Box 400131
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4131