Hello all,

I received *many* replies to my late-August request for
suggestions of writings by literary authors about artists.
The patron on whose behalf I sent the request was amazed
and delighted by the result.

Raymond Smith already has copied his response to the list
(Aug. 31, 2006 "Some noted American poets and novelists writing
on art").  Thank you, Raymond!  If anyone missed this, I will
forward the message on (off-list) request.

I've compiled and condensed the briefer replies; they appear
below.  Some works, particularly John Updike's books, were
mentioned by many people.  Thank you all for your responses!

Ed Deegan
Univ. of Pennsylvania
Fisher Fine Arts Library

There are Picasso books by Patrick O'Brien
 [O'Brian, Patrick, 1914-2000.
   Picasso : Pablo Ruiz Picasso : a biography.
  New York : Putnam, c1976.]

 and by Norman Mailer....
 [Mailer, Norman.
   Portrait of Picasso as a young man : an
  interpretative biography.   1st ed.
  New York : Atlantic Monthly Press, c1995.]

How about Keat's Ode to a Grecian Urn?

Frank O'Hara was a poet who wrote extensively on artists.
   see Wikipedia:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_O'Hara

The Painters of Modern Life by Baudelaire

Updike, John.
  Just looking : essays on art.
1st ed., New York : Knopf, 1989.
[and several later eds.,including one
by the Museum of Fine Art, Boston, 2001]

Updike, John.
  Still looking : essays on American art.
1st ed., New York : Knopf, 2005.

Julian Barnes writes occasional reviews of art exhibitions and
contributes articles to London Review of Books, etc., but as far as I
know, they have not been issued as a published collection.

One from left field:  I can't resist pointing this one out, although
what one's opinion of her as a "well-known writer" might be is anyone's
guess.   The author's name is Jane Roberts and she wrote numerous books
about psychic phenomena in the 1970s, including ones in which she
channeled an entity called Seth.  She also wrote a book on Cezanne, [viz.]
Roberts, Jane, 1929-
   The world view of Paul Cezanne : a psychic
interpretation / by Jane Roberts ; introd. by Seth.
Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice-Hall, c1977.

One of my favorite works of fiction about art is
A. S. Byatt's collection "The Matisse Stories,"
all of which are about art(and an art historian).
Also, Peter Carey has a brand new novel out
about the contemporary art world,
"Theft: A Love Story," which is great.

W. Somerset Maugham's The Moon and Sixpence, which is about Gauguin.

Simic, Charles, 1938-
  Dime-store alchemy: the art of Joseph Cornell
Hopewell, NJ: Ecco Press, c1992.

...a number of books by Guy Davenport:
   Objects on a table: harmonious disarray in art and literature  (re: still
      life)  Washington, D. C.: Counterpoint, c1998.

   A Balthus notebook.    New York: Ecco Press, c1989.

   The geography of the imagination : forty essays
     San Francisco: North Point Press, 1981.

   Every Force Evolves a Form: twenty essays
     San Francisco: North Point Press, 1987.

One possibly useful resource is the Getty Research Institute
collection of "art in fiction" of c. 1500 volumes:

   http://library.getty.edu/

search the collection for "art in fiction" as a phrase
to get a browse list.   You could sort by author and
browse for whatever one would consider "well-known writers."

Michel Foucault's essay on Diego Velasquez's "Las Meninas".  I believe
  this is the first chapter of his book "The Order of Things."

Octavio Paz wrote several books about Mexican art and artists:
   Gunther Gerzso. Neuchatel: Editions du Griffon, 1983
   Essays on Mexican Art. NY: Harcourt Brace, 1993

So did Elena Poniatowska:
   Juan Soriano, Nino de Mil Anos.  Mexico: Plaza Janes, 1998
   Introduction to:  Frida Kahlo, the Camera Seduced. San Francisco:
     Chronicle, 1992

... Joyce Carol Oates did one on GEORGE BELLOWS
published by Ecco Press.  Indeed, my recollection is that Ecco Press
did a number of titles on artists by people who generally would  not be
considered art historians or art critics.  I am not certain that there is
any particular series information which would pull these titles together.

Writers on artists /edited by Daniel Halpern
San Francisco: North Point Press,1988
   It contains about forty essays of various writers on various artists
 (e.g., Huxley on El Greco, Mailer on  Picasso, Hemingway on Miro).

Susan Sontag's 'On Photography'

Several books about art, painting, or specific artists, by Jean Cocteau