Hello all.

At Colby College I am on a committee charged with determining
metadata standards and levels for a new visual resources project
initiative at Colby College. I would like to illustrate differences
between LC name authorities and Getty Union List of Artist Names, and
the impact different forms of the name have on user recognition,
searching etc. in our new Luna database.

If you have any classic examples of artists' names whose form of name
differs when comparing LC and Getty, I'd appreciate it. If you have
any advice concerning the degree to which one creates access to
variant name forms in Luna, as opposed to an authority-controlled
bibliographic system with built in LC authority headings.

If you have established any local guidelines about how many variant
name forms you have for cataloging a particular image I'd like to
hear them. We have very limited staff for the project, and our grant
has defined goals for the number of images to be created in our
database during the period of the grant.

Reply directly to me. Thank you.

Margaret Ericson
Art and Music Librarian
Colby College