Greetings Peter and ARLIS-L,

May I suggest you consider your local Visual Resources Collection as
a possible place to store or donate at least one of your relatively
current issues of Benezit. It is a frequently used resource for staff
and patrons to help determine the nationality of artists, making it
quicker and easier to find images on the shelf in a given photo
archive. It is especially useful for those artists whose nationality
is difficult to remember, for example, Escher, Giacometti, Mondrian,
Schiele, etc., when you catch yourself doing the Belgian,
Netherlandish, Italian, Austrian, German, Swiss thing?! Most VR
collections do not have the kind of budget that would allow for the
purchase of such a wonderful resource. Admittedly, as we move to
digital the shelf order of photos becomes less important, but it is a
great resource to have around a VRC for a variety of purposes. Even
with all the wonderful online resources we have access to, sometimes
it is quicker, easier, and more pleasant to pull a book off the
shelf--our Benezit 1999 gets a pretty regular workout, we donated our
older French version to a VRC cross town that would never have the
resources to purchase it, and we can only look longingly at the
English version!

Best regards,
Maureen

>Date:         Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:07:32 -0700
>Sender: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Peter Blank <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [ARLIS-L] English Benezit vs. French Benezit
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Greetings colleagues,
>
>Ah yes, the eternal joys of shelving.
>
>What to do with French Benezit?
>
>Before I jump into this with my Cassell's French dictionary and a
>bottle of Chateau Fleet Street, has anyone already produced a
>(fairly) serious analysis of French Benezit content vs. English
>Benezit content?
>
>Is all of FB in EB?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Peter Blank
>
>Peter P. Blank                                    [log in to unmask]
>Deputy Librarian                                (650) 725-1038
>Art & Architecture Library                  FAX (650) 725-0140
>102 Cummings Art Bldg.
>Stanford University
>Stanford, CA 94305-2018

Maureen A. Burns, Ed.D.