[log in to unmask]"> Lois’ Gift

                                       Lois’ Gift

Lois Swan Jones, art historian, bibliographer, friend and mentor of generations of art librarians, was a woman of many parts.

Although our paths had crossed already a couple of times before  we did not become really well acquainted until we had lunch together during  a leisurely break in a busy excursion trip  to Buffalo and Niagara Falls during the 1979  Toronto Conference . Sharing a table we were soon engrossed in an animated and very fruitful   conversation about the art and science of teaching historical bibliography and research methodology to art history students. At that point I had not even  seen  Research Methods and Resources: A Guide to finding Art Information(1978) which  had only just been  published  but as soon  I had read it its seminal importance obvious -- and it contained a special gift !

After our promising first encounter we managed to get together at   every subsequent ARLIS/NA conference for long talks, usually over a meal or drinks. On these occasions our conversations continued, but -- and this may perhaps come as a surprise to some readers -- the topic of our conversations changed from things bibliographical and didactic, activities  in which we were both engaged  on a day-to-day basis,  to  the activities of professor Jones’ alter ego:  that of world traveler and entrepreneur  art photographer, film- and video producer and publisher, fascinating activities  that were uniquely hers.

Jeff Weidman in his l reminiscences of  Lois  < one of a kind>  [ARLIS-L of August 9], pays warm tribute to Lois’ first  work , Research Methods and Resources: A Guide to finding Art Information  ( 1st edition, 1978). This book and its subsequent editions and all the works which  she published later are listed in the obituary in  the Dallas  Morning News  of August 9. They are  important tools for the art historian’s and art librarian’s trade  and all did, of course,  become entries in he bibliographical  guides that I prepared for my first-year graduate students. Due to the  particular admissions policy at Harvard at the time  that favored people with backgrounds in languages and literatures  or classics most of the new graduate students that were admitted to the graduate Fine Arts degree program had not  been art history  majors  as undergraduates and were therefore  very much in need of  instruction  in  historical bibliography and research methods.

 So what was this gift to me  that I have alluded to in the caption to these reminiscences ? It was the following  simple and   brilliant  idea:

 Having meticulously recorded all the steps that went into the creation of a  major scholarly treatise on an artist, from the original conception of the research idea to the imprimatur  Lois in her book  retraced  these steps one-by-one  and discussed them  thoroughly from every angle for the benefit of the student. As an object lesson  she proposed the creation of a  dissertation  on the life and works  of Gustave Caillebotte (1848-1894), the French impressionist  master.  With him she  had wisely chosen a figure  who lived though one of the great sea changes in the history of French  painting. This versatile artist  was truly of his time. He was  a painter,  a friend of  artists, writers and other prominent members of the cultural establishment , a man who had  contacts in the worlds of politics and of business as well and who was also an art   collector to boot. This presented the author a splendid opportunity to introduce the novice scholar  step-by-step to every conceivable source and format of pertinent information both textual and pictorial that he would need  to illuminate his subject. The obvious merit of this approach is that it makes the student realize that the paces he is being put through in this course are not busy work but have real relevance for what he is about to undertake, his future life’s work as a scholar.

Thus inspired by Lois, the great teacher, I have used her  clever  device, i.e. teaching  research methodology by dissecting a work of scholarship into its technical components  and putting it  together again in front of a class for  many  years with success.  I never had  I to worry how to motivate students! That was the gift of Lois to me for which I am grateful,

Wolfgang M. Freitag